Lithium three 12V versus one 36V Lithium three 12V versus one 36V Lithium three 12V versus one 36V Lithium three 12V versus one 36V

Default Lithium three 12V versus one 36V

I have been exploring changing out my lead acid trolling motor batteries on a 36 volt system to lithium. One manufacturers rep recommended a single 36 volt 100 AH battery versus three 12 volt batteries. Is anyone running a single 36 volt battery on their rig and how do you like the performance? I know the possible downside is if you have an issue, I would have a large battery to repair or replace. The convenience of a single battery does appeal to me. Let me know your thoughts.

Default Re: Lithium three 12V versus one 36V

I had a lithiuimPro 36v single battery and it was great. their warranty is long enough that I didn't worry about repairs. One thing it did do was my batteries were in the front and it changed how the boat rode so I had to add some weight to the front. The only reason I still don't have it is I upgraded the boat. One thing I wasn't a fan of was the thru charger that connected thru a 12v battery. I prefer to just have a charger that was dedicated to the 36v.

Rod,
    A lot of people are switching over to lithium and really like the benefits of lighter weight and more usable capacity. There are pros and cons.
    As far as three 12 volt versus one 36 volt battery, here are a couple things to consider. With a 36 volt single battery you lose the option of hooking up other 12 volt accessories to this pack. In my case I run two 156 AH lithium batteries for my 24 volt Ulterra and have my electric anchor hooked to the one and my Garmin navigation to the other. The rest of the 12 volt electronics, live wells and bilge pump are hooked up to my AGM starting battery. With the larger electronics like we have today you could be drawing 2 to 5 amps just to run the electronics depending how large and how many you have. This could deplete the charge in your starting battery especially if you aren't running the outboard enough to replenish some of that charge. A higher capacity starting battery, like 90 AH or more, would be a good idea if you are running lots of electronics and don't want to get stranded on the water. Another option would be to have an additional 12 volt deep cycle battery designated just for electronics.
    With the newer multi-bank on-board chargers it is not an issue to run 12 volt accessories off of your trolling motor batteries because the charger will recharge each battery individually to 100% again keeping the bank balanced.
    Another possibility with lithium is that you can run out of power without any warning. The internal Battery Management System (BMS) will cut off power when the cells are discharged. If you have a trolling motor like an Ulterra that deploys and stows on its own it will be very unhandy when your lithium pack is discharged because you will have no power to stow the motor. I speak from personal experience Lead acid or AGM batteries will generally fall off slower towards the end of the charge and you will notice slower speeds and still have enough power to stow the motor.

Let me summarize by giving some pros and cons of each battery chemistry...
    Wet cell (flooded) lead batteries.
    PRO's - Lowest initial cost and cost per AH. Easily recycled. No special charging system required. Recharge at any temperature.
    CON's - Heavy. Maintenance required. Corrosion issues. 3 to 4 year life on average. Usable AH is about 60% of rated capacity.

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) lead batteries.
    PRO's - Sealed maintenance free design. Dual purpose for Starting and cycling. Easily recycled. Recharge at any temperature with AGM compatible charger.
    CON's - Heavy. Higher initial cost and cost per AH than wet cell. Cycling life about 3 years, Starting application about 5 years. Usable AH is about 60% of rated capacity.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFeP04)
    PRO's - Usually 1/3 the weight of a lead battery for the same AH. 2500 plus cycles give 8 year or longer life expectancy. Recharge in less time with higher amp charger. Usable AH is 90 to 100 percent of rated capacity. Low cost per cycle over life of battery. Maintenance free.
    CON's - Much Higher initial cost and cost per AH. Recharge with LiFeP04 compatible charger and only above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Expensive to recycle.

Hopefully this is helpful for someone that is considering their options to power their boat. I know it is much more than what you asked for Rod, but I own a battery company and just wanted to give back to everyone on this forum in appreciation for all they have contributed to make me a better walleye angler.

Blessings! Lynn

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your experience with all of these batteries. The battery I am looking at is the Epoch 36V which has Blue tooth connection and also a plug in battery monitor. I can glance at any time to make sure I have enough power to retract my Ulterra. I have a series 31 AGM battery for the starter and electronics. There has been no issue with that battery even with live scope. I had a problem with the previous 27 series running out of juice and luckily had enough power to start the kicker. I now keep a booster box in the boat for such purposes and hopefully will not need to worry about that in the future. If necessary, I will have enough room to install an additional lithium battery dedicated to the electronics.

Hi Rod,
    We run a single dedicated 36v 105 amp Lithium for our Ultera. A 31 agm for the electronics and another for cranking. We use allot of electronics and the agm 31 used to have trouble keeping up with the 9.9 kicker. We upgraded to a 15 hp kicker on the new boat for the stronger alternator.

We do run two 15 inch Solix, 3 optima down riggers usually constantly cycling, and occasionally radar along with misc. other small draws like the fish hawk and stereo and VHfs.

I had two go with the single 36v because of bow space/weight constraints. Also with a single 36 the charging is easier, we use a single 36v high capacity charger - it can fully recharge the battery in a couple hours.

I would never go back to a 3 - 12v system, but to each their own.
    Mike

What charger did you go with if you don't mind telling me?

I'll have to check. It is tucked in out of sight, out of mind lol.
    Mike

It's a Dakota
    Mike

Thank you sir.