March 1 report March 1 report March 1 report March 1 report

Thread: March 1 report

Default March 1 report

Got invited to fish with some Captain friends today Shane and Dave and we had a nice day on the lake started around noon and ran all over to find water clean enough to catch. We found some and put some nice fish in the boat. Great start to 2023 and what a nice day 60 degrees amazing for March 1. I will be fishing again tomorrow and starting my charter season next week. Today was bandits and p10’s 1.2-1.4 mph 20/20 on p10’s and 120 no weights on bandits no color stood out.
    March 1 report-32ca43ae-3317-4135-914c-1f7c64658d03-jpg
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Default Re: March 1 report

Thanks for the report Capt Sam.Great start to your season.Nice fish.

awesome capt sam!!!! keep up the good work my friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Captain Sam. Great post, we have been following you for a couple years, you helped us find fish as we were going out of Muzuric one day. Thank you! On your post, how deep do you think the P-10's were diving at 20/20. The Precision trolling app wants you snapping at 50, so I think at 20/20 the app isn't calculating correctly unless I'm not reading it right. God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by peporter3 View Post
    Hi Captain Sam. Great post, we have been following you for a couple years, you helped us find fish as we were going out of Muzuric one day. Thank you! On your post, how deep do you think the P-10's were diving at 20/20. The Precision trolling app wants you snapping at 50, so I think at 20/20 the app isn't calculating correctly unless I'm not reading it right. God Bless.
    If he was using 2oz weights, then you can figure it was running close to 11 feet. If it was a 1oz weight it would be 9 feet.

How do I get this? I was taught by an old timer that for every ten feet of line out, after the snap weight is attached, with 1oz, you can add 1 foot...2oz would be 2 feet.

So, if the lure is running at 7 feet down at 40 back (unassisted), and you put a weight on at the 20 foot mark...add 4 more feet to the original 7 feet, because 20 feet after the snap weight would get you 4 more feet....using the 2oz at 40 back (assisted) for a total of 11 feet.

To run at 11 feet unassisted you would need 106 feet of line out, so it's better to use the snap weight... for shorter leads.

This is what I was taught....I'm sure others will have their own opinions on the matter, but it seems to work for me, so I'll just keep using this math. lol
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Nice Job Thanks for the report

Captain Juls, thank you, great info! You and Captain Sam do it right, always informative! That makes sense, I will remember your formula from the old timer! Thank you for taking the time to figure that out. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by peporter3 View Post
    Hi Captain Sam. Great post, we have been following you for a couple years, you helped us find fish as we were going out of Mazurik one day. Thank you! On your post, how deep do you think the P-10's were diving at 20/20. The Precision trolling app wants you snapping at 50, so I think at 20/20 the app isn't calculating correctly unless I'm not reading it right. God Bless.
    I also tried to figure out how deep a P10 would be running at 20/20 with a 2oz weight at 1. 3mph.I came up with a deeper depth and from a different formula than Jul. Not sure who is closer because there are a lot of variables to knowing the actual depth our lures are running.
    An important variable when running weight at slow speeds, is that weight drops much deeper than most people think. My dive chart says a 2oz sinker at 1.0mph is 14ft deep and at 1.5mph is 9ft deep. So split that at 1.3mph and we get like 11ft deep. And a p10 dive chart says at 1.5mph, dives 5ft with 20 ft lead. So, add 5ft and 11ft and my guess is around 16 ft deep.
    Best way still, is to cover the water column and find out where the active bite is occurring.

Thanks for replying Captain Sam and Captain Juls. I went back and looked at the dive charts. All your thoughts were very informative and gave me alot to think about! Can't wait to get out there!