Chemicals in the water Chemicals in the water Chemicals in the water Chemicals in the water

Default Chemicals in the water

I know this is not a news forum but I am in Indiana and just concerned about all the issues going on close to Lake Erie. I hear about all the train derailing and an explosion just a few miles away and just want to hear from some local people (instead of talking heads) if they think any of this will have an effect on the lake and the fish?

Default Re: Chemicals in the water

The train derailment was in East Palastine, which is near the PA border and closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Lake Erie. It is a horrible situation for those that live near it, but it should not be a direct threat to Lake Erie, IMO.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

that area is in the ohio river system which flows south away from lake erie

Fisherman 2 is right. The derailment is in the Ohio River Watershed and NOT the Lake Erie Watershed so there is absolutely no risk to Lake Erie from this event.
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

That is good to hear, I feel sorry for all the people in that area and have no way out.

well i live about 20 miles to the northwest of the derailment site. and it seems that the lake erie watershed isn't out of harms way just yet. on the local news this morning they stated that they are going to start hauling some contaminated liquid to a place called "vickery environmental" located somewhere near sandusky, and the bad soil was going to be hauled to a place called "us ecology wayne disposal" located in belleville michigan. so there you have it, just when we thought it was safe to go back into the water! UGH !!!!!

Vickery is a hazardous waste disposal well that has been operating for years. US Ecology is a hazardous waste landfill. They're not just dumping that stuff randomly. It's going to the best place it can go. You're pushing the panic button without knowing the entire picture.
    Last edited by FUBAR1; 02-24-2023 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

well that's good info to know. just a little gun-shy because they started hauling all of the bad soil out and never washed the truck tires or undercarriages off before entering the highway down here and the roads quickly filled with contaminated mud that dried and turned into contaminated airborne dust once the road cleaning brushes started to clean the roads. it wasn't a pretty site. again thanks for the info, it looks like someone that knows something finally took over and doing things the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR1 View Post
    Vickery is a hazardous waste disposal well that has been operating for years. US Ecology is a hazardous waste landfill. They not just dumping that stuff randomly. It's going to the best place it can go. You're pushing the panic button without knowing the entire picture.