Hair Jigs Hair Jigs Hair Jigs Hair Jigs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Jigs

whateverswims Guest

Default Hair Jigs

Let me know if you have stumbled across any websites with good prices on hair jigs and stinger hooks. Tying my own last year seemed to cost more than the store. Tying a crawler harness on the other hand---fast and easy, better than the store and CHEAP!

Whateverswims

Post prices

Here's the two places I've found locally that have decent prices. At Maumee Tackle they are $1.99/pc here's the sight:

http://maumeetackle.net/lake_erie_hair_jigs.htm

As well I wend to edgewater bait store and they sell them for $2.69/pc.

Let me know if you can find better than $1.99 with shipping.

Default Hair Jigs

Something to note, NETCRAFT in Maumee has a new style Hair Jig with a thin stiff wire that attaches the main jig hook to the stinger hook. This keeps the stinger in line with the main hook shaft, elininates the wrapping of a stinger line around the main shaft and likely increases the hooking of the fish.

These stingers come attached to the jigs. There is another stinger sold that you attach to the jig (as it has been in the past). It has a fairly stiff line that helps eliminate the twist and wrap up of the original stinger leaders. If you already have a bunch of hair jigs, then these might be a good bet.

Anybody heading, please send in a report on how you do, how much debrie is in the water, etc.

TK

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

Here is a tip to help get rid of the linetwist you can get when fishing the jigs especially with minnnows,Tie a swievel on your main line and use a three or four ft.leader down to the jig.Tried this last year and it works wonders!!!

LazyEye Guest

Default Janns Net Craft

Erie Rebel, Jann's Net Craft is selling hair jigs for 1.69 a piece until the end of march.-----Mike aka LazyEye

Default hair jigs

I found a good site for hair jigs, 1.00 each 3.00 shipping www.walleyehairjigs.com/

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

Hey Mike welcome aboard!!Hope things are well with you.Let me know when you have an open seat on that river boat.Take care bud.

Default Another thought

There is line that is wire with a rubberized coaring that you simply twist and heat with a lighter to secure. The benefits are you can make it as long as you want and secure it to the curve of the hook, thus measuring directly to the tail of a shiner. Complicated yes. Tough to do on a windy day yes. But a great way to enhance the old painted jigs we have left over from previous years.

Sold by 50 yd spools.

C Ya on the Water

Default Bolles Harbor DNR Launch

Guys,
    the DNR has come through early this year and put one dock in.

So launching isn't a problem from there. Also, Trouts Marina appears to have their ramp open. This is the marina across the channel from the DNR launch. Perhaps they are open even prior to the DNR ramp/dock? Something to find out about for next year's early launches.

Please let us know how you do if you go out in the next few weeks.
    TK

I tie my own and i have it figured out to cost about 60 cents with a stinger. I use to pour them, but now Netcraft sells unpainted hairjigs for 2.49 for 10 of them. The most expensive part is the powder paint at 5.00 a jar, but you can dip alot of jigs with one jar and you only really need 2 colors purple and green. In the long run i think its worth it, alot of the hair jigs you buy are SKIMPY on the hair, and after one day the paint is chipping off, and the hair is about gone. If you dip your own and then bake for 15 mins, you cant hammer the paint off. Kevin at Netcraft showed me how to make stinger hooks with spacer tubing and #2 leader sleeves for around 20 cents each. Im sure if stop in and ask him he will show you. They have everything you need.