Jigging Jigging Jigging Jigging

Thread: Jigging

Default Jigging

Wow if this weather holds up. Might be jigging shortly. Has anybody tried yet

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jigging

yep, water temp is climbing I read an article that said the ice on Lake Erie is about 7 % of normal for this time of year. or the lake is 7 % iced up can't remember exactly but the fact remains its unseasonably. warmer which the effects are still to be seen. so that being said we will go with the flow, if anyone has a trip soon give us all some feedback so we can make the best decisions on a trip. I am in the west end close to Toledo so can go either way for the jig fishing

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Water Temperature at Marblehead Station is 37.2. Next two weeks+ forecast has a lot of cold days, so don't hold your breath the Lake water temperature is going to hit 40 anytime soon. With that forecast I would think we are looking at a pretty "normal" start time for reef and shoal jigging. Yes, there are always some early jacks around to be caught. But I'd think planning a trip before at least the middle of March, if the current forecast holds up, would be premature. Not much fun to be out there sitting / drifting around in 34-38 degree or lower air temps and 38 degree water temps to catch some walleye.

I'm part of a group of 6 coming from South Dakota April 16th for a week. We stay on south bass island. Past years we trolled all the time. This year we're talking about doing some jig fishing. What jigs are most using? In southdakota we use leadhead and plastic tails tipped with a minnow.

Most guys use hair jigs in the 5/8-3/4oz weight most popular. Can also use a small stinger treble behind it.Colors we liked most were green, purple and black. Some use minnows but they frequently pull off on the rocky bottom. Some guys say don't need minnows.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Most guys use hair jigs in the 5/8-3/4oz weight most popular. Can also use a small stinger treble behind it.Colors we liked most were green, purple and black. Some use minnows but they frequently pull off on the rocky bottom. Some guys say don't need minnows.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by raiders#75 View Post
    I'm part of a group of 6 coming from South Dakota April 16th for a week. We stay on south bass island. Past years we trolled all the time. This year we're talking about doing some jig fishing. What jigs are most using? In southdakota we use leadhead and plastic tails tipped with a minnow.
    just stop in at any bait shop when you get here and you will see what kind of jigs to buy and works best here

I recommend the guys at Fisherman's Wharf right in Port Clinton. Great store and it's a beautiful little area there downtown.

[QUOTE=fisherman 2;77100]just stop in at any bait shop when you get here and you will see what kind of jigs to buy and works best here[/QUO

Sounds like a plan. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DW72 View Post
    I recommend the guys at Fisherman's Wharf right in Port Clinton. Great store and it's a beautiful little area there downtown.
    I'll check them out. Thanks.