Perch recipe Perch recipe Perch recipe Perch recipe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch recipe

Default Perch recipe

I caught a few perch here ice fishing and would love to have a great recipe to fry these babies up!

Could someone help me with your go to fish batter?

Thanks in advance.

Fastfreddy

Default Re: Perch recipe

Can’t beat cracker crumb & egg. Throw salt, pepper and garlic in the cracker crumbs. Mmmmmm. Damn it now I’m hungry!!! :-)

Fast Freddy,

Fishing Tigress is my co-captain and one hell of a cook.

We use this on Walleye and Perch.

She mixes the McCormick Fish Fry - Seafood Fry Mix AND the McCormick Cajun - Seafood Fry Mix. Kroger in Port Clinton has them, I assume all Krogers do.

The Cajun blend gives your fish a little kick. By blending you can give it a hint or go hot with straight Cajun. What ever suites you.

We don't use egg because we don't want heavy batter. The above mix will stick just fine to damp fish. If you want heavy batter, use an egg wash first.

BTW, The Tiger prefers Walleye but the Tigress prefers Perch.
    Mike

Fryin Magic is good

mcormicks beer batter and kellogs corn flake crumbs...dip the fish in the wet beer batter then roll in flake crumbs...one thing i like about this is you can coat all your pieces and let them set for a while till your ready to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman 2 View Post
    mcormicks beer batter and kellogs corn flake crumbs...dip the fish in the wet beer batter then roll in flake crumbs...one thing i like about this is you can coat all your pieces and let them set for a while till your ready to fry.
    I recently purchased an Air Fryer, last week I used it for Walleye. Wow I am hooked. I used barbecue Pork rinds all crushed up to roll the Fillets in I used egg as the binder. 400 degrees for 11 minutes it was perfect. This week I used Panko bread crumbs with some Andy’s Cajun mixed in for a little kick on Perch. I kept it 400 but cut the time back 9 minutes. Again it was great. With an air fryer just a small amount of oil sprayed on top of filets to help brown them.

For years I have used Town House butter flavored crackers crushed up with Italion bread crumbs, add some flour and a variety of seasoning like onion powder, garlic powder, Mrs Dash, etc all to taste. Dry fillets in flour dusting, roll in eggwash then roll on coating mixture. I use canola oil at 375 degrees and drop my perch fillets into the oil for 2 min for small pieces up to 2.5 minutes for bigger fillets. Leaves a thinner light great tasting coating that enhances the taste of the fish. Have had many people that dont care for fish like this recipe...also nake my own tarter sauce...2/3 helmans mayo, 1/3 miracle whip, add sweet pickle relish enough to make it noticible in the sauce, then add a small squirt of lemon juice, stirr well, keep refrigerated. Better than any store bought !!

I use 2 parts Andy's regular to 1 part Andy's Cajun (or Red if you prefer...either one is good).

Pat dry fillets on paper towel.....dip in an egg mixture of egg and half & half...then put a few fillets at a time in the breading mix (I use a big zip-loc bag to do this...just shake the bag and it covers the fillets.

Put them on a plate to sit for at least 20 minutes, so the wet mixes with the dry. This keeps the breading from falling off when you put them in the oil, and it also makes them crispier.

Fry in peanut oil. But, if you, or anyone you're feeding, has a peanut allergy...obviously, you would use another oil.
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 02-01-2023 at 07:36 AM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    I use 2 parts Andy's regular to 1 part Andy's Cajun (or Red if you prefer...either one is good).

Fry in peanut oil. But, if you, or anyone you're feeding, has a peanut allergy...obviously, you would use another oil.
    I second that one Juls. I add a little garlic powder to the mix and soak the fillets in milk for about a half hour before frying.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to give it a go tonight!

FF