Precision Trolling Precision Trolling Precision Trolling Precision Trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Precision Trolling

Well I just got the App and I hope it helps me while out on the lake. I think the more info I have the better it is. At the very least I will know how deep the lures are running and will be able to get them down to the fish. My next investment will be to spend a day with Juls to tie it all together.

Default Re: Precision Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    Well I just got the App and I hope it helps me while out on the lake. I think the more info I have the better it is. At the very least I will know how deep the lures are running and will be able to get them down to the fish. My next investment will be to spend a day with Juls to tie it all together.
    Great! I look forward to it...
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    i have always recommended going out on a charter before going on your own. i started fishing the western basin drift fishing in the late 70,s without much info. but it was so easy to get limits back then. when the water was cleared up thanks to the zebra mussel and fish numbers went down we switched to trolling and did great just using spinning gear with mostly the 2" hot n tots and standard wiggle warts. then some yrs later we moved to fish the central basin and I was totally lost. we took a charter out that used dipsy divers to get the lures down. we fished with him for 2 days and we were running things the second day with his guidance. we walked away with more knowledge than we could have gotten in 10 years on our own. we could fish with 3 divers on each side. we still got a few tangles but the worst tangles came from putting a left diver out on the right side of the boat. now I use different reels on each side. i think Juls would make a great teacher. she knows how to catch them and how to find fish and read her fishfinder. just make sure she knows you are also there to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    Just make sure she knows you are also there to learn.
    I guess you don't know me very well...

I'm one of the few charters out there that teaches the customers how to set the lines, and do everything, rather than just handing them a rod to reel in a fish.

You can't learn by watching....you have to actually do it, or it won't stick.
    [email protected]

Talking Re: Precision Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post

I'm one of the few charters out there that teaches the customers how to set the lines, and do everything, rather than just handing them a rod to reel in a fish.

Juls is outstanding! Just as she says, you work the lines and learn. You can't get any better instructions and hands on training. Took my wife out with her and she had never fished for walleye. Now I'm her first mate...

Hardest part for us is finding the fish. I read the reports, try to duplicate them and get a couple. Never really getting in the fish. Boats all around and I'm doing what others are but just don't catch as many. Not sure why. All the same methods, equipment. Maybe I don't change setups enough. It seems so easy with Juls but not killing it myself.

But Juls is great. Highly recommend her.

Thanks Shermwn51, I have been reading her post for a couple of years and I know she is a hands on teacher and I will be setting the boards and learn how to reel them in with minimal tangles. That is what I need, one day on the water with someone that will let me do it all.

I meant no disrespect Juls. and no I don't know how you run your boat but I know enough about your catching ability from reading your posts. we went out on a salmon charter to learn but the caption wouldn't even let us get the rod when a fish hit. he would get it and after the 1st run, he would hand it off to the next one in line. but the walleye charter we took out was 180 degrees different. it was hotrod charters out of Geneve OH but some time later he went back to fishing the western basin. on the 1st day, we got our hands wet but on the 2nd day, we did everything but drive the boat. but some charters will put you on fish so you catch fish and have a great time. but if they know upfront you are also there to learn they tend to teach rather than just catch fish.

but one thing you should know even after fishing Erie since the late 70s and going out on a charter for 2 days at the start on the central basin and taking another charter out that used inline board I feel I still have a lot to learn. when it comes to walleye fishing on Erie nobody knows it all. I started on a boat that ran dipsies then I had to try to learn about fishing with inline boards but i ended up using the lite bite slide divers ran it without using the slide part but the lite bite feature sets them apart from other divers like a dipsy or the Dreamweaver deeper diver.

hey jules you should offer "learning charters" vs fishing charters and charge more money for the learning ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I meant no disrespect Juls. and no I don't know how you run your boat but I know enough about your catching ability from reading your posts. we went out on a salmon charter to learn but the caption wouldn't even let us get the rod when a fish hit. he would get it and after the 1st run, he would hand it off to the next one in line. but the walleye charter we took out was 180 degrees different. it was hotrod charters out of Geneve OH but some time later he went back to fishing the western basin. on the 1st day, we got our hands wet but on the 2nd day, we did everything but drive the boat. but some charters will put you on fish so you catch fish and have a great time. but if they know upfront you are also there to learn they tend to teach rather than just catch fish.

but one thing you should know even after fishing Erie since the late 70s and going out on a charter for 2 days at the start on the central basin and taking another charter out that used inline board I feel I still have a lot to learn. when it comes to walleye fishing on Erie nobody knows it all. I started on a boat that ran dipsies then I had to try to learn about fishing with inline boards but i ended up using the lite bite slide divers ran it without using the slide part but the lite bite feature sets them apart from other divers like a dipsy or the Dreamweaver deeper diver.
    No worries...I wasn't offended. I know what you mean....a couple captain friends and I, hired another captain friend for a day in a new area, and he didn't even let US set lines, even though we fish the same way. lol

I have heard of the lite bite slide divers, but never saw one, or used them before.

I also agree that no one knows it all...though, I've met a few that think they do.
    [email protected]

No worries...I wasn't offended. I know what you mean....a couple captain friends and I, hired another captain friend for a day in a new area, and he didn't even let US set lines, even though we fish the same way. lol

I have heard of the lite bite slide divers, but never saw one, or used them before.

I also agree that no one knows it all...though, I've met a few that think they do.
    Slide divers are really nice for walleye in that they have 2 trip points one for the pole to trip the diver and the other for the fish to trip it. So you can adjust for small fish and if the fish side trips the other also trips. I have found they are not as easy to set as the dipsy divers. That being said I found a setup that works really well you use a piece of 50Lb mono on the slide diver to make it more like a dipsy diver in that you just put a leader on the back and your snap from the pole connects. I use a leader that I connect to the swivel on the back and I use a large snap on my pole side to connect to the arm. I have had a small walleye trip the slide diver that I would of never even known it was on a dipsy. I am a fan of slide divers that's for sure on my 3rd year and still very happy.
    Precision Trolling-slidediver-jpg