Line choice Line choice Line choice Line choice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line choice

Default Line choice

Replacing line on my line counters. Need advice. We fish off shore boards with bandits and spoons. Should I go braid or mono?

Default Re: Line choice

Quote Originally Posted by TabBiser View Post
    Replacing line on my line counters. Need advice. We fish off shore boards with bandits and spoons. Should I go braid or mono?
    where do you fish? (lake Erie) what do you use to get your lures down? either will work but most guys choose mono for boards. I prefer braid because it's so much smaller in diameter then I use a fluro leader. one of the bigger problems with braid is keeping the line from slipping in the release.

Mono is best for boards.We use 15# maxima mono but a lot of guys use 10 or 12# mono to match the line diameter they use for dive charts.

I use 12lb mono and prefer maxima also. I also used the 15lb and really didn't notice a difference. With a majority of fish coming into the mid 20" range 15lb might be nice for the next couple of years. Once my service spool is used up I will be going to 15lb. For me, the braid didn't work well between using small boards and not holding in the clips and I also feel you lose fish when newbies are yanking a rod back and forth and there is no give in the braid. Mono has a little stretch that helps absorb it.

I have been using 12# Sufix advance since I began trolling for walleye about 3 years ago. I have never had a line break in all that time, but I've not caught any walleye over 8 lbs. yet either. I use the 50 + 2 precision trolling method quite a bit so I don't want to go heavier than 12# so my depths will be more accurate. I have a couple rods with 20# braid but I've only used them for jigging with a 6 ft. fluorocarbon leader. I am also told that if you use dipsies that you will want at least 20# or heavier braid but I have no experience with dipsies yet. The Sufix advance is a bit less stretchy than regular mono which I like when I want to release a board when I get a fish on. Hope this is helpful

i have been using 12 lb pline moss green for many years,started useing in the river in the fall for steelhead.love it.its fluorocarbon.best line i ever used.have reeled in some monster sheephead on it never breaks.straightened out some hooks but line holds.

Mono is best for inline boards. The bigger boats using the big boards like using the braid better.

I've been using 20# Sunline Supernatural (in green) for several years with my Off Shore boards, and I'm very happy with it.

The Precision Trolling Data is based off of a line diameter of .013, and the 20# Sunline is a line diameter of .015.

I do not do any calculations for the difference in line diameter, since it's close enough.

The best price I have found for a 3300 yd spool (I change line on a lot of reels at least once a month) here: Sunline Super Natural 20lb 3300 Yard Spool

Sorry...I just noticed they are out of stock at the moment.
    I'll email them and see if they know when it will be back in stock, and let you know.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks all for this helpful info

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post

Sorry...I just noticed they are out of stock at the moment.
    I'll email them and see if they know when it will be back in stock, and let you know.
    He replied….and said…

We currently only have one 20lb clear spool in stock. We should have our sunline order in the first week of March.

Xtackle
    Ed Jr.
    [email protected]

Update on the Sunline 20# test at XTackle.com….

“Juls,
    We have an order coming from sunline and we will have 20lb back in stock mid to late next week.

Xtackle
    Ed Jr.“
    [email protected]