Trolling rods Trolling rods Trolling rods Trolling rods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling rods

Default Trolling rods

I'm looking to get a setup of trolling rods. Any particular rod/brand recommendations? I would be planning on using them for both dipsey's and boards.

Default Re: Trolling rods

We use the Diawa Wilderness rods for both boards and dipsies.They are inexpensive and work for us.Im sure there are better rods than the ones we use.Especially for dipsies want a more flexible tip for detecting bites.

In my opinion, the reel is more important than the rod. With few exceptions (wire, dipsies, etc) most of the lake MI pros will say spend the money on the reels. I have found this true to walleye as well. I actually splice in 300 feet of 10# line over my 30# or 80# braided MI rods for my spring trip to Port Clinton. I limit most every day so it must work.

Last year we switched everything from Cabela’s Depthmaster rods to their newer Cabela’s Prodigy rods and have been very satisfied. Still keep some of the heavier Depthmasters for trolling dipsies but we seldom use dipsys anymore. Switched over to Tadpole trolling weights. I like the reset feature that does not require reeling up the dipsy to reset if you lose a fish. The disadvantage of the Tadpole is it not adjustable to move the bait/ lure away from the boat. Solid advice from coho to invest in the best reels you can afford.

I will qualify my response by stating that I have only a couple of years trolling under my belt so my assessment may not be as mature as some of the more seasoned folks who hang out here. As already suggested, spend your money on the reels and go with inexpensive rods (<$50). As opposed to other styles of fishing where you have rod in hand and need to feel subtle strikes and all of the action happening under the water, choosing trolling rods is more about having those rod tips and angles consistent, and being able to manage the rods (how easily I can deploy, stow and store them). I prefer the one-piece or telescoping vs. two-piece rods, so that filters out a lot of choices. I currently run the BassPro/Cabela's DepthMaster 9" telescoping rods for my outside boards/dipsies and then Ugly Stik GX2 7' for the inside. I will probably move to all Ugly Stik 7-1/2' M/ML next year for consistency. The Ugly Stiks seem to be just powerful enough to handle pulling boards and divers, yet sensitive enough to give you a nice fight with the fish. And you can pick them up for $40 so you won't be too sad when one breaks.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes I have some experience with cheap reals. I bougth the reels for my dad's boat a few years back and I think the initial reel I bought was the Okuma magda pro if I recall. It was their entry level reel and I had all kinds of trouble getting them to engage/disengage. After quite a bit of back and forth with Okuma I sent them into them for repair. They had them for a couple of months, and long story short with customer service experience that was not great they replaced them with the convector series of reel. Now with a few trips with them they are better but I do still have some trouble with the line counter not engaging on a couple of the reels. Nothing more frustrating then putting the line out and having to mess around 2-3 times to get the line counter to begin.

My big question would be the action and length of trolling rods. I think the rods I bought previously were a cabela's depthmaster rod of some type. I can't recall the length and action of them though. Is a medium action 7.5' rod enough backbone for the dipsey's? I'm sure there is a sweet spot in there between a good fighting rod and enough backbone to pull the dipsey's.

Agree with spending more on reels than the rods.Been using the Diawa sealine 47lc reels and have been happy with their durability and performance.The Diawa Wilderness rods we use are 8.5ft medium action trolling rods.We fish in 28and 30ft boats so can use the longer rods to net fish and spread out the dipsey lines.But if using a smaller boat you don't want rods too long because of difficulty netting.The medium action rods work fine with our #1 dipsies.

I've had good use of Ugly stick rods medium in 7 or 7.5 feet length for dipsies and boards. I've had Okuma convector 24s and 27s since 2008 and with a bit of grease every spring, they are still in use. One of the counters sticks a bit but you just have to keep an eye on it. I outfitted a 2nd boat a few years ago with Diawa rods and reels. One of the reels came with no lube in it. yeh right. A couple of the counters are sticky from the start and one of the rod eyes broke the lining.

Keep the line especially mono out of sunlight too. Mine lasted 10 years because I don't store them in sunlight on the boat.

Rickerd

I just switched from Denali Myriad ($120 a rod) to a rod that Bays Edge sells for $44 and very happy. They got the Ugly stick cal 1100 blank and had a rod made special for them. It is the ugly stick 7' medium blank and is perfect for board or dipsy rods. I can see the bite very easily and it is made with stainless eyes with no inserts. go check them out before you buy anything I was very impressed with them. I will have 4 myriads for sale for $80 a piece.

you just can't beat the Daiwa wilderness trolling rods in med/lt action 8'. if you want to use shorter rods get a 7' but I think the m8' is the best choice. some guys like a stiffer rod but I like a rod with flex that is forgiving when fighting larger fish. they are a cheaper rod but all you really need is a good glass rod that will last for many years at a great price. in my opinion a medium is just too stiff for walleye. whereas a wilderness trolling med/lt is just right. sure it has more bend when using divers or boards but handles the shock when a larger fish hits and it has enough flex that you feel the fish fight and it's just a more enjoyable experience fighting fish.