Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022 Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022 Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022 Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022

Default Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022

After several perch trips, I was really looking forward to getting back out and chasing some walleye, and today was the day. I woke up at 2:45, even though my alarm was set for 3:50, and figured I'd just get up and take care of the new puppy, before I had to get ready.

Dexter slept in, so Alfie and I went out on the back deck to check the weather. I was disappointed to see thick fog hanging in the air, and questioned whether I still wanted to drive over to Huron to launch, imagining car wrecks, hit deer, or some other unnatural disaster awaiting us this morning. lol

Alfie took my attention away from all that, with his growling, and hopping around playfully, at the dead leaves on the ground. I sipped my coffee, and checked the wind forecast for the rest of the day. It was going to be really nice with a SE wind at less than 6mph most of the day. Yay!

By 4am, the fog was lifted, and I could see the stars shining up above. The air was crisp, and chilly. The air temp was 39 degrees. My friend, Jen, came and picked up my dogs for the day, so I could fish without worrying about the little one. Thanks, Jen!

I picked my Vexus up from her heated storage, and stopped off to gas her up and get ice for the cooler, before heading to the Holiday Inn Express to pick up my crew.

Karl has fished with me for around 6 or 7 years now, and likes to bring different friends or family members with him each time he comes. This time, he brought his friends, John and Bill along.

We headed to Huron to launch and showed up there at around 7am. The sky was still dark, but the ramp was full of lights. Truck and boat lights. I'm used to being the only one there when I show up early, but I felt like I was really late, this time.

It didn't take very long to get launched, since most of the folks that fish this time of year are pretty seasoned anglers and know how to work with each other at the boat launch.

We were headed out of the river by 7:19. The destination was straight north of the river, until we hit 45 feet of water. So, that's what we did. There were still residual NE rollers coming in from yesterday's NE wind, so we couldn't go very fast. John is older, and I didn't want to beat him up on the ride out, so we took our time, and got there within a half hour.

The Helix had marked fish on the ride out, but nothing that I would shut down early for...I was determined to get to 45 feet first. When I did get to 45 feet, and came off plane, I wasn't too impressed, and was hardly marking anything.

I figured it was as good a place as any to start, so the Ulterra was deployed, along with the baby Merc, and set on a westerly course at a speed of 1.6-1.9mph.

Bandits were my choice of bait this morning, because they've been my go-to bait for several years now. Knowing that white colors produce best in the fall, I opted to start with a few in the mix.

The stock color called, "Daydream", was set behind the Off Shore board on the starboard side, on the outside, at 120 back, unassisted.
    Next to the outside board, was a "Slim Shady Custom" called, "Glacier Shad"... at 97 back, unassisted.
    The second board pulled a "DJ Custom" called, "RC Crush", at 75 back, and the inside Bandit was another "Daydream" at 45 back initially, but later set to 75 back when the spread was changed to 120, 107, 97, and 75 back unassisted.

On the port side, Karl set up using 2 oz Guppie weights at the 35 mark, instead of the usual 50 back, and set up his spread at 35/35, 35/50, 35/60, and 35/80. His colors were the following...
    Fruit Salad
    Green Lantern (w/red chin) Another Slim Shady Custom
    One color I can't remember the name of...but, it had a lot of white in it...lol
    And, another Daydream.

Everything listed above caught fish, with the Daydream running at 120 unassisted catching the most.

We caught our 4-person limit of walleye by 10:30am, and headed back in, before the rush at the ramp happened, again. Loading out was easy enough, since it wasn't as busy as it was early this morning. There wasn't a spot left in the parking lot, and all the grassy areas that could hold a trailer were loaded up with parked vehicles and trailers, too. I've never seen it so busy there before. But, it was a beautiful morning, and the fish are biting, so I guess it's to be expected.

Everyone had a good time, and John and Bill were very impressed with our fishery. They are from Chicago, and I don't recall if they said they have ever fished here before. If they haven't, I know they will be again...the walleye did not disappoint, and kept them very busy.

We had many doubles and a couple triples this morning, which is always a good time.

Karl will be back again next season, and that makes me happy!

Tomorrow, I have a crew of three. A father and his two sons will be going to try for walleye again. The morning should be very similar to this morning, so I hope the bite will be just as good, if not better.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-karl-john-bill-10-29-20221-jpg Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-karl-john-bill-10-29-20222-jpg Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-karl-john-bill-10-29-20223-jpg Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-karl-john-bill-10-29-20224-jpg Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-karl-john-bill-10-29-20225-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Re: Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022

Thanks for the mention Juls. That new Vexus is looking sweet! I've been spending most of my time on the D-River jigging, so far. The floating weeds in our part of the system make trolling cranks a total pain until they leave again. We did make it out on LSC twice on combo trips recently (jigging early, then trolling) and picked up some nice fish pulling my baits. Chrome Perch and Big Bad Bill have been on fire.

In case you forgot which one is Big Bad Bill, it looks like this:Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-bad-bill_july_2021-jpg
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Big Bad Bill have been on fire.

In case you forgot which one is Big Bad Bill, it looks like this:Fishing with Karl, John, and Bill...10/29/2022-bad-bill_july_2021-jpg
    Darn...lol I looked at that one several times and almost put it out. I should have, eh?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

It's definitely worth a shot. For some reason it seems to work really well in any color water.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)