Walleye reports Walleye reports Walleye reports Walleye reports

Thread: Walleye reports

Default Walleye reports

Is anyone fishing or catching. I’m guess it’s slow from lack of reports. Please advise I’m coming next week and can’t wait the anticipation is killing me.

Looks like water is down to 60^F , Hoping more cool weather will trigger them next week. Wind willing.

Default Re: Walleye reports

The rapid cooling and big winds have put a damper on getting out past 2wks.The walleye fishing wasn't that good before that either.But once we get some stable weather the bite should take off and hopefully the bigger fish will move in too.Read where Capt Sam caught 15 in 4 hrs last week and another charter I know got 16 in 4.5 hrs.That is slow for those guys.

Wind willing... I am also wind willing since coming from indiana. I read the off shore, nearshore, wind surf and every wind information i can attain before coming. Its seems the weather forecasting and the wind forecasts ar like WAY OFF from whats actually happening. I check the forecasted winds, 1 to 3 building to 2 to 4, but look at the cams and its a ripple at best. If I get a few days where it shows 1 to 3 or 2foot or less i go. It ends up being 2 to 4s. Just seems the "wind willing" is killin me... of course I,d like to hang some fish to take home but i have a freezer full. I just LOVE to troll for em. I cant seem to get an accurate wind analysis to go. I have what i thought was the best, im all for any helpful sites...

Quote Originally Posted by Derslayer1 View Post
    Wind willing... I am also wind willing since coming from indiana. I read the off shore, nearshore, wind surf and every wind information i can attain before coming. Its seems the weather forecasting and the wind forecasts ar like WAY OFF from whats actually happening. I check the forecasted winds, 1 to 3 building to 2 to 4, but look at the cams and its a ripple at best. If I get a few days where it shows 1 to 3 or 2foot or less i go. It ends up being 2 to 4s. Just seems the "wind willing" is killin me... of course I,d like to hang some fish to take home but i have a freezer full. I just LOVE to troll for em. I cant seem to get an accurate wind analysis to go. I have what i thought was the best, im all for any helpful sites...
    get an app called Fishweather. I won't show you wave predictions but will be quite accurate for wind predictions. Then you can learn what speeds and directions produce various wave heights and what your boat can take. The wave heights are only guesses by the National Weather Service and the bureaucrats at the NWS are the mopes who can't get a job elsewhere and what's posted may be made by some intern in Colorado.

If you watch weather reports closely, there have been circular fronts passing thru so wind is changing every few hours from the circular movement. Day to day and every 8 hours or so cause the wind to change. Once these fronts are straight line, winds will be more uniform and easier to predict. Fall causes all kinds of wind issues with the temp changes !!! For what it might be worth, I use the NOAA wind and wave forcast for western lake erie, it has been reasonably reliable....

I still always use Iwindsurf for wind forecast.Then I look at weather bouy, NOAA bouy 45005 the day before and morning we are headed out to fish.Rarely miss a day fishing anymore due to incorrect forecasts.But I do fish on bigger boats that can handle 2-4ftrs if be .

Like today...forecasted 3 to 5s, subsiding to 2 to 4s at and around huron. Then i look at a huron cam and see this...Walleye reports-screenshot_20221012-133704_samsung-internet-jpg

Sure you're gonna see a flat lake on the south shore.Thats because the wind is out of south from 12-20 mph today.The waves at the weather bouy are at 3ft now but were up to 5ft around noon.Now if that same wind velocity was out of the NW-NE you would see much bigger waves on that cam.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

You have to match up the wind direction with the view (direction) the web cam is showing. 25mph wind out of the south, southwest, or southeast isn't going to show much wave action on the Huron web camera - it's on the south shore looking out north. Likewise, a northeast wind isn't going to show much wave action on the Catawba web cam because it's on the west shore of Catawba Island looking west (Catawba Island blocks the NE wind in that area). Find a web cam that's actually going to show a view where the full effect of the wind can be seen - such as the Catawba web cam with a 25mph west or north wind.

One ting I never hear mention. Yes waves build do to wind but wind with or against currents can effect wave height.