Underwater video... Finally! Underwater video... Finally! Underwater video... Finally! Underwater video... Finally!
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Underwater video... Finally!

After all this year's non-Lake trials and tribulations I finally got some cameras deployed last Saturday off the SE corner of Kelleys Island. That area was the best (surface) water clarity I found all the way around Kelleys and in the South Passage. Surface visibility was 20 feet+ (horizontal). The water clarity was pretty poor on the bottom, about 3-4 feet. Here's the quick notes to help with fishing. One camera was out in 29 foot of water, the other closer to shore in 22 foot. They were about a quarter mile apart. Both cameras were set about 18 inches off the bottom. 4pm full sun.
    The deeper camera recorded a lot more fish which included walleye, sheepshead, smallmouth bass, a carp and a catfish. The walleye were at and just above the camera. The rest were closer to the bottom except the catfish, which was at the same level as the walleye (yep). The video captured walleye and a bass at the same time and also a bass and the catfish. The walleye would cruise by slowly, always at least two (remember the visibility was only about 3-4 feet, so there were probably more). One even seemed to slow down and check out the camera. When a group came by they didn't always come from the same direction. There was a current and it was full of small debris, it looked like it was snowing. All the walleye looked to be the "eater" size. Nobody fishing that area. So there were walleye there, probably a good number, and nobody fishing.

The shallower camera only recorded sheepshead and a few smallmouth bass. So a quarter mile makes a big difference in what fish are there and how many.

When I get some better quality video I will post it on my website, which unfortunately right now is not back online yet from my move.

The smallmouth bass are very curious, they will swim right up to the camera and stare at it.

Hope to get more cameras deployed over the Labor Day Weekend (target walleye and yellow perch). And also do some fishing!

Here's a nice tease for the bass fisherman.

Underwater video... Finally!-deeper-camera-smallmouth-close-082722-jpg

WB
    Last edited by West Basin; 08-30-2022 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add info

Default Re: Underwater video... Finally!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

That is cool. Thanks for sharing.

That's awesome. Hope to see the moving video when you get the website back up and running

Thanks Dave,great info there on our fish.

Looking forward to watching a few videos on your website once it is up and running! Please share the URL.

Cannot wait to see more videos Dave.

Rickerd

Really cool stuff. Thank you.
    Mike

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The web site is back up.

Lake Erie Fishing Boating Vacation Recreation Information

I don't think I'll have time to post anything until maybe this weekend, and that would be photos.

The MODIS satellite hasn't been updating since August 25. If any of you fish over this Labor Day weekend and post a report, please include the surface water visibility. That will help me decide where to deploy cameras over the weekend. This is the worst time of year for water clarity, all the living things are at a peak (algea) as the water temperature is at it's season warmest.