bait night before bait night before bait night before bait night before
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: bait night before

A variation of Billy Joe's: Keep in zip lock bag on ice. Any left over, when back home add a good amount of K salt in the bag and place in a freezer. This sort of "Mummyfies" them. They get quite tough, and stay on the hook for 3 or 4 catches! You can do the same with live minnows too.

Lot of folks claim sucess wuth salted minnows, but I have not gad any luck with them. Even tried sneaking a few in on days when the bite was good and no luck. Gonba try the pickled minnow recipe where they are frozen in alcohol ( cheap booze) and see how well that works, after all, everyone can appreciate a little cocktail niw and then !!!

Quote Originally Posted by airshot View Post
    Lot of folks claim sucess wuth salted minnows, but I have not gad any luck with them. Even tried sneaking a few in on days when the bite was good and no luck. Gonba try the pickled minnow recipe where they are frozen in alcohol ( cheap booze) and see how well that works, after all, everyone can appreciate a little cocktail niw and then !!!
    How do you salt and freeze your minnows? Are they dead and getting stale when you do this... if so, it may explain why the fish don't bite. Fish also rely on scent, and "rotting, stinky" fish smells are most likely a turn off.
    You might try: A dozen still alive Shiners, placed in a baggy without water, just a couple Tablespoons of kosher salt and kept in the freezer.

Absolutely, only good healthy minnows, I have a very good insulated and aereated minnow bucket, so any left over minnows are good and healthy. Just never have had sucess wuth salted, my neighbor hasnt either. When I can get some good shinners I am gonna try the minnow cocktale version.

many articles on the internet on ways to salt minnows, Ohio DNR has a good one. Most have a brine to soak minnows in before salting. I did that before using the alcohol method, salting was a pain.