Walleye trolling gear Walleye trolling gear Walleye trolling gear Walleye trolling gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walleye trolling gear

I joined the Walleye forum a few months ago as I am just getting back to fishing Lake Erie after a 25 year hiatus from Sandusky. I grew up on a 13 acre wetlands area on the back side of the Sandusky bay which is now a county nature preserve. Spear-fished from a jon boat at age 12, ran a trap line before school and could walk 10 minutes from my door step to a crudely-built duck blind.....spoiled but didn't know it at the time...

I am just now getting back to my passion for fishing and have received some fantastic advice on perch rigs, walleye trolling techniques, etc. from a number of great forum members. Really appreciate the tips and hope to become a major contributor over the next couple of years. Purchased a boat this past spring (my wife got a new mattress so only seemed fair) and am super jacked to ramp up the weekend fishing this fall.

I grew up drift casting for walleye but have been equipping myself for trolling. Purchased the following 'starter set' of items to get going:
    • Dipsy Divers (going to try this over planer boards to start)
    • Bandits: 3 colors, 4 ¾", 5/8 oz
    • Worm Harnesses: 4 colors
    • 2 ¼" Spoons (found some highly rated ones at galeforcetackle.com)
    • Erie Dearies (for drift casting)

Unfortunately (from a $ standpoint), I still need some good poles/counter reels. Looking for any advise on good rods and reels that are reasonably priced. Hope the money going out is soon paid back somewhat by fish coming in!

Thanks to all!

-Stox

Default Re: Walleye trolling gear

You might need 2 trolling bags depending on the size of your boat and how slow you can troll.Amish outfitters is a good brand.
    I like Diawa line counter reels and Diawa wilderness rods.Thimk each rod/reel combination is around $150.So need 2 to start and eventually 4 poles.Think Diawa reels come in 47 or 27 size.We use the bigger 47 size but alot of others like the smaller 27 reel.
    Will need rod holders too if you don't already have them.They come in a wide range of brands and costs.
    If eventually buying inline boards,I like the yellow offshore brand and upgrade it with the tattle flags that drop down on a hot.Cost about $50 per board.
    Then gotta decide if want braid or mono.But if going to run dipseys then braid is best and get a utube video on how to calibrate rods.
    Good luck.The lure buying for trolling never ends.

Look forward to hearing your stories on here.
    As said before braid line is a must for dipsies or Lite Bite divers. Mono is best for running stick baits. Harnesses can be used on either set up. You might want a couple size 40 jet divers also and a couple 30 jets if you don't have the boards. You can flatline them off the back and have success up high. Trolling during May through October is 2-3mph. If you are in colder water times, you might need to get down to 1.2 mph or so for speed. If you boat can slow down below 2mph, you won't likely need bags for a while.

I have been using Okuma counter reels in size 27 for 15 seasons and only require adding lube grease every year so far. The counters still work with a little jimmying. I replaced the mono a couple years ago but the braid is still good according to Craig at Erie Outfitters.

Not sure where you live but Craig is in Sheffield Lake and a great reference.

Rickerd

I'll second the Diawa wilderness rods. I use the Okuma Magda line counter reels. They aren't quite as nice as the Diawa reels, but they get the job done and are reliable. Jet 40's for western basin, two bags, inline planars or dipseys. That will get you going.

I've been running worm burners in the warmer water. Spoon with a small 4" or so harness off the back you can add half a crawler to. They've been producing for me recently.

Call on over to Jann's Netcraft in Maumee...they have a good selection of affordable rods and Okuma line counter reels (plus other brands) as well as anything else you could possibly need for trolling.

i cant add much but the Daiwa wilderness trolling rod is a good choice. if you want to go with a little longer rod check out fishusa.com for the rods. i like rods that have some give with braided line so I go with med/light.

there are a ton of reels to choose from. I use Daiwa sg17lc3b reels because they are small and light. but you don't really need anything any larger on Erie. I have used Daiwa accudepth plus 17 reels and they were still working after a few yrs when I upgraded to the 17lc3b. if you go with Okuma the converter 20 is a great reel to go with. I was using the older Daiwa sg17lca reels on one side of my boat that had passed their useful life. I upgraded to the Okuma coldwater 203 reels. so far I just love the smoothness and the drags on them. and the 203 is plenty reel for Erie. on the Daiwa 17 reels, I went to power handles on them. I could have went with the 27 that are standard on them. but I fish younger people and ladies and the daiwa 17 or okuma 203 or the Okuma convector 20 reels just fit better.

I also really like the Okuma Convector 20 reels. I have them and 2 Penn. I prefer the Convector over the Penn.

If you need trolling bags I have a set of Amish outfitters that I do not need. Like new used one year. Will take $ 60 bucks for the pair. Sold the 27 sportcraft now have boat with kicker motor. I have had good luck okuma connector cv30. Going on 6 years with no issues. I like the okuma deadleye 7 foot rods.

Thank you all for the great rod/reel suggestions. I'll plan to try out a the Daiwa Wilderness rods and will pair a couple with the suggested Okuma reels and a couple with the suggested Daiwa reels. All set with all other gear including trolling bag.

Now to (hopefully) contribute to the forum with some successful fishing posts through November!

I got 4 Okuma Magda 20 Combos at Tacklehaven.com for $250, 7'0" rods Decent starter sets on a budget.
    Last edited by greyeyes01; 08-26-2022 at 04:46 PM.