Draggin the Line with Tom and Family Draggin the Line with Tom and Family Draggin the Line with Tom and Family Draggin the Line with Tom and Family

Default Draggin the Line with Tom and Family

We fished this past Saturday off Huron from 8-1pm in 40-42fow.Was a tough bite for us.Caught all our keepers except one on dipseys.Best lead was 90 and 95 on a 3 setting and 65 and 70 on a 1 setting.Used 2 double willow harness and 2 white flicker shads on the dipseys.Had 2 inline boards out also.Was running bandits,flicker minnow and a Yazuri crank from 120-180 with 2oz and caught only one huge sheephead.Tom kept harping about putting a harness on the boards,and near the end of the day, put one on to make him happy.Wouldn't you know it,it caught our only walleye on a board all day,and the biggest at 25".We ended up catching 12 fish that weighed 24lbs at cleaners.Also threw back around 6 shorts and 6 white perch.Talked to a guy at the cleaners who also fished Huron and caught 12 fish.Said they caught most of their fish on Bandits.Said caught them at 100 leads with no weight.My reply was we were not marking fish shallower than 30ft down.He said he was marking them and catching them.Guess i should have tried some shallower cranks and deeper harnesses earlier.My bad.

Default Re: Draggin the Line with Tom and Family

Were you in the pack of boats North of the Huron Dump? I was around there but around noon. and only had a few shorts. Just using spoons.
    Did you have crawlers on the harness?

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We fished this past Saturday off Huron from 8-1pm in 40-42fow.Was a tough bite for us.Caught all our keepers except one on dipseys.Best lead was 90 and 95 on a 3 setting and 65 and 70 on a 1 setting.Used 2 double willow harness and 2 white flicker shads on the dipseys.Had 2 inline boards out also.Was running bandits,flicker minnow and a Yazuri crank from 120-180 with 2oz and caught only one huge sheephead.Tom kept harping about putting a harness on the boards,and near the end of the day, put one on to make him happy.Wouldn't you know it,it caught our only walleye on a board all day,and the biggest at 25".We ended up catching 12 fish that weighed 24lbs at cleaners.Also threw back around 6 shorts and 6 white perch.Talked to a guy at the cleaners who also fished Huron and caught 12 fish.Said they caught most of their fish on Bandits.Said caught them at 100 leads with no weight.My reply was we were not marking fish shallower than 30ft down.He said he was marking them and catching them.Guess i should have tried some shallower cranks and deeper harnesses earlier.My bad.

We were close to the dump,but no real tight trolling pack grouped up.We never found an active pod of fish.Just an occasional fish as we tried to find fish.Seamed like everyone else was doing the same.We were using nightcrawlers on double willow worm harness with purple front and pink back.We also caught one on purple boxer and a chartreuse willow blade.We tried speed 2.3-2.7mph.

I tried the same area. Might have been there the same time. I tried slowing way down and speeding up. Just an occasional fish.

I am in the white Robalo R247 dual console. White minn kota on the front and suzuki 9.9 next to the yamaha on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We were close to the dump,but no real tight trolling pack grouped up.We never found an active pod of fish.Just an occasional fish as we tried to find fish.Seamed like everyone else was doing the same.We were using nightcrawlers on double willow worm harness with purple front and pink back.We also caught one on purple boxer and a chartreuse willow blade.We tried speed 2.3-2.7mph.

Howdy Bob,
    I have been fishing out of Huron at least once a week since July. I had been catching them out a few miles in 40+ feet using bandits 50-50 My hottest color has been green chartruse. followed by chrome and blue/chrome.
    The last 3 weeks was able to fish a bunch because the university was shut down for break. I got a tip and since I have switched to using Hot-n-Tots 1/2 oz size 100 back. and fishing only about 24 fow. Have caught some really nice fish, although also some huge junk making it sort of a pain. The last few times I have gotten my ticket early enough to finish out the evening finding fish and using anchor lock and banging them with jigging raps. It sure is a lot of fun doing that.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I've heard there are fish in shallow lately but that just seems in contrast to many other reports of them being deep. I haven't tried in close myself but have been really tempted. My best success has been 40ish using spoons on dipsy divers. But I do want to try a few various lures and methods other than the spoons and bandit program I usually run. The jigging sure sounds like fun ! Think I have a few Rapala rattle traps.
    Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Howdy Bob,
    I have been fishing out of Huron at least once a week since July. I had been catching them out a few miles in 40+ feet using bandits 50-50 My hottest color has been green chartruse. followed by chrome and blue/chrome.
    The last 3 weeks was able to fish a bunch because the university was shut down for break. I got a tip and since I have switched to using Hot-n-Tots 1/2 oz size 100 back. and fishing only about 24 fow. Have caught some really nice fish, although also some huge junk making it sort of a pain. The last few times I have gotten my ticket early enough to finish out the evening finding fish and using anchor lock and banging them with jigging raps. It sure is a lot of fun doing that.

Kent

Hey Kent,great to hear you have been able to get out fishing again and catching well.I did not try a chartreuse bandit last time out. Will have to give that a try.I have also read that some guys having success with downsized body lures.For us the flicker shads have caught well last month and a charter I know is using rapala J7 lures for past month.

Hi Bob,
    Glad your back out there. I thought I was going to be down for a couple weeks but fate and bad luck has kept us off the lake for too long.
    Now we have come down with some kind of crud. At least it is not Covid.

I hope to get out before the holiday. If not it will be after, as I stay off the lake when the crazies are on the loose lol.
    Mike

I did read on other thread your new boat delivery has been held up.Good luck with that and enjoy your new boat when it finally arrives.