East of Kellys Walleye East of Kellys Walleye East of Kellys Walleye East of Kellys Walleye
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default East of Kellys Walleye

Saturday morning talked to a guy cleaning walleye at my marina. He said they caught a limit Friday evening one mile east of Kelleys Island off the airport. They didn't clean them that night, he was doing it then. I heard the same location from the local bait shop. Forgot to ask how they fished, troll or drift.
    Last edited by West Basin; 08-22-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: correct spelling add content

Default Re: East of Kellys Walleye

We have caught fish in that area the past few years. Nice to read a current report.
    Thanks for posting

Got to get out Saturday morning around 9:30am. New to fishing Lake Erie. Fished 3 miles east of Kelly's in 40 to 41 fow. Trolled worm harnesses targeted 25 fow. Five keepers 22" to 17". Beautiful Day on lake.

Congratulations on your catch and thanks for your first post Lem-O-nator.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Saturday morning talked to a guy cleaning walleye at my marina. He said they caught a limit Friday evening one mile east of Kelleys Island off the airport. They didn't clean them that night, he was doing it then. I heard the same location from the local bait shop. Forgot to ask how they fished, troll or drift.
    a mile off Marblehead to a mile off Kelleys is full of them.. trolling east from the dump over is pretty good.. but theres a TON of nets in there..

I was fishing couple weeks ago with friend east of Kellys, 42 ft of water. On one rod, I had dispey #1 setting and 45' back with Michigan Stinger spoon, wonder bread pattern. Something hit the rod hard (probably big catfish), and when I reeled it in, the spoon was gone. Disappointed because this pattern has produced all season long, the next day I stopped by Cabellas to replace lost spoon, and noticed it cost $3.00 more than all others. For some reason, I opted not to buy, and just use my other patterns to finish out the season.
    Last Saturday my son came into town and wanted to go fishing for a few hours. We went back east of Kellys in same general area, tied on perch pattern stinger spoon, set dipsey on #1 setting, 48' back. I've learned you have to check lines every 15 minutes or so to make sure little fish aren't being dragged around all afternoon. When I reeled it in, I could see in the distance that indeed something was hanging on the lure. But when I got it in the boat, it was another stinger soon wonder bread pattern, ie the same one I lost 2 weeks earlier. There was no fluorocarbon leader attached, just the spoon with treble hooks caught on each other.
    Was it my original spoon?, or someone else lost lure? Have no idea, all that I can say is I'm going to retire that lure as a keepsake.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Hulio,

That's an incredible story! It seems tremendously improbable that sppon was the one you lost. Is it possible that spoon somehow got hooded on the other in the boat and you just didn't notice it when you set the line out? Otherwise, how a spoon with no line attached could get hooked onto one being trolled is, well, just about unbelievable. If you didn't snag another troller's line, and the spoon wasn't already hooked to the line spoon before you set that line out, then the only other real explaination is the line spoon snagged it off the bottom. That would be incredable odds to beat!

Great fishing story! I would think you have better odds of winning the lottery then that happening! Go buy a ticket this may be shot streak! Good luck (not sure you need it though!)

Was fishing off Huron when my rod holder broke off and in went my daiwa line counter and eagle claw rod. Probably uv damaged and drag was too tight. Then noticed one of the boards going off. Wound in board and much to my surprise was attached to the lost pole. Got it back and wound in a huge sheepshead. Consider me lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Hulio,

That's an incredible story! It seems tremendously improbable that sppon was the one you lost. Is it possible that spoon somehow got hooded on the other in the boat and you just didn't notice it when you set the line out? Otherwise, how a spoon with no line attached could get hooked onto one being trolled is, well, just about unbelievable. If you didn't snag another troller's line, and the spoon wasn't already hooked to the line spoon before you set that line out, then the only other real explaination is the line spoon snagged it off the bottom. That would be incredable odds to beat!
    Thought about that, but it was not the first time I checked that line. We started fishing southwest of dumping grounds, but ran into lots of floating weeds. So we picked up and moved north and fished for at least another hour before catching the spoon. I agree it is unbelievable, almost did not post.