Walleye returning west in fall? Walleye returning west in fall? Walleye returning west in fall? Walleye returning west in fall?

Default Walleye returning west in fall?

Hoping to get some insight into Sep, Oct, Nov fishing for walleye in the western basin.

Does walleye fishing generally pick back up anywhere between Huron and Port Clinton in these months? Looking at an intereting YouTube video found at https://youtu.be/-DWKfXwmnZQ , it appears that they begin bunching back up west in Nov and Dec.

I know that the Huron pier is a popular destination for walleye fishermen in late Nov (rattletraps always worked well) but I am not a fan of fishing arm-in-arm with others along the pier. While the fish can be large, in my opinion there are too many lines crossed and the fish taste a bit oily as they have been feasting on shad.

I plan to boat fish until the end of Oct so I am hoping that some fall hot spots might be shared. Nothing like eye-fishing while listening to fall football on the radio! As mentioned in a prior post, I am just returning to the area (Sandusky) after being away for the past 25 yrs. Great memories of fishing with my family for walleye and perch. Looking forward to many fish fries for the next 20. Thanks!

Default Re: Walleye returning west in fall?

Yes, the walleye fishing can be fantastic in the fall. It is my favorite time to catch them. No weeds, no bugs, no junk fish and when you catch a walleye, it is typically big. They start growing their eggs in the fall, so most of the fish we catch are big females that are full of eggs. We usually throw the biggest ones back, but sometimes catching smaller males can be tough to do that time of the year. However, if you put your boat away in late October, you are going to miss most of it. Last year, it started to get really good in late October and early November. We catch them until there are no boat ramps left to use. Here's a short video that my buddy and I did from December 2020. That year, we caught them into the 3rd week of January. It was awesome. Last year, my last trip was New Year's Eve morning. We did well. It was about 42 degrees out and dead calm. Huge line at the ramp that morning, because it was the only one still open.

Huge Lake Erie Walleyes December 2020 HD 1080p - YouTube

Here's a video from the last trip last fall:

Trolling for Walleyes on Lake St Clair December 31, 2021 SD 480p - YouTube
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Yes,the fish do move west in the fall.The fish will stage off Huron and some will start feeding on the reefs as the water cools.You can do well trolling off Huron and in the deeper water next to some reefs.The Eastern most reefs see the first activity.Kellies Island reef and Gull Island reef are great to cast harnesses on in the fall.Our favorite reef to cast on is Gull island.We have started catching on Gull,the third week in September and improves as the water cools.Trolling next to Gull and Kellies Island reefs can be productive also.Got some deep water right next to both of those reefs.

Thanksgiving week is my favorite if the weather doesn't fall apart. Perfer to fish sunset through first couple hours of dark. Last year night trolling average was 7# fish with an occasional big one. Day time we caught kess fish but manages a few big big steelies.

How do you night troll? Haven't tried this.

Looks like you all have given me plenty of excuses to tell my wife that the boat must stay in the water through November, minimum. Will try off Huron and in deep water near island shoals as suggested. Thanks to all with comments/suggestions!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Stox,

All said so far is good info.

The Lake population of walleye is so high right now that catching them once the water temperature drops below 70 shouldn't be too hard all along the shoreline from the major reef complex off Davis Besse to Huron. You shouldn't have to go out far, such as to north or northeast of Kelleys Island, unless you want to. Just because nobody talks of fishing a certain area doesn't mean there aren't walleye there. You can probably catch walleye a few miles off shore from Port Clinton to Sandusky. I'd give that a try before running out 8-10 miles or more, especially in late October and November. Try around the reefs in the South Passage, south of Green Island, and southeast of Kelleys Island. You may find good spots that nobody else is fishing. That's how those spots get found.

One thing to keep in mind is the weather typically gets more windy in October and November. It's pretty common to get a day or two blow that stirs things up. This will change the fishing and where you want to and can go. It can also drop the water temperature a degree or two, wihich also changes were the walleye go.

Fall walleye fishing is underrated. as most aglers traditionally have switched over to yellow perch fishing so there aren't as many looking for and finding walleye.

Good luck!

West Basin,

Thank you for taking the time to get my adrenaline pumping about fall walleye fishing! Very much appreciate the advice!

As I am docked in Sandusky, I will definitely follow your suggestions as I'd prefer not to have to travel out so far. Not sure where there reefs are located in the South Passage but will do some homework.

Yes, I too will push for yellow perch but I certainly will mix in some walleye fishing...

All the best. Will be certain to post any hot spots that I uncover.

same as daytime, zip tie a glow stick to your planer board flag...its a hoot

Another good thing is short trips! Last couple years ive dropped gear as soon as a clear the huron light house and go NE at sunset. If its too rough i stay in the harbour and xast to the sea walls