Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

Definitely agree on spinning reels. I have a Daiwa Revros LT 2500 that is perfect for perching. Hard to find a better spinning reel for $50 IMO

Thanks Lunker, LEfriend, Bbrack! The Daiwa Revros does get great reviews and not too pricy at under $50. Unfortunately I am not a candidate for the custom rod/reel that was recommended as it's a bit out of my budget (I need to purchase 4 rods/reels after testing 1).
    Can anyone help me understand why a spinning reel is better than baitcaster? Bbrack, you seem to have a pretty strong opinion so I'd love to get your comments.

Heading back out perch fishing from Sandusky this weekend. Hoping to find hot spot. Crazy to have caught 3 perch in 2 hours in 28' of water west of Kelly's last Sat followed by catching 11 nice perch in 1 hour off a dock in the back of Sandusky bay (past Cedar Point bridge) in 4' of water..... shiners, spreader, #6 hook.

I just prefer spinning gear for straight-lining/jigging. I can use lighter gear (light line, less stiff rod) and get better sensitivity to feel those light bites.

As a bonus, it also makes catching junk fish a little more enjoyable fighting them on light line as they're ripping drag 😉.

Thank you, Bbrack....makes sense. And yes, sheephead throwbacks are still fun to catch!

I used to use spinning gear for perch fishing but switched to a bait caster a couple of years ago and will never use spinning gear again if I don’t have to. Bait caster is faster up and down, one handed operation and easier to drop back to the bottom if you crank up a foot or two off of the bottom. Check out Denali Pryme Crappie rods. They are super sensitive. I’m using a Lew’s 8.1:1 retrieve bait caster and it brings up perch as fast as any spinning reel. Look on Bass boat central for used and you can get a reel that will last a lifetime for a great price.

Thanks for all the advice, Bankangler!
    I had already purchased a KastKing 7.2:1 reel before I got BBrack's comments. Tried the reel out this past weekend and really liked it, especially for the $31 price tag. I still plan to purchase the Diawa Revros that BBrack recommended as I need to upgrade 4 perch rods total... so why not try both reels out....
    Partnering the reels with Shakespear Micro 5.6'. Loved the feel of this rod, trying it out this past weekend.
    Another 3 perch off west side of Kelly's in 29 FOW between 7am and 9:30am Saturday. Very few boats pulling up perch around us. Fished Sunday in 4 FOW (yes four) in back Sandusky bay (behind Cedar Point) and caught about 30 perch but only 7 keepers, one 13". Will wait till September and then fish off Kelly's as well as off Cedar Point through end of October.