Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

20 or 30lb braid. You don't need to worry about walleye breaking off. Occasionally a big sheephead will double your rod though.

I am new to this group and not sure how to post a question. I am trying to find out the best way to fish for perch and walleye from Kelly’s Island. I am going this weekend. I want to fish from the shore.
    We have a charter scheduled, but I want to fish from the Island too. Any advice? Thanks

Do you mean live minnows? If so, are they available on Kelly’s somewhere?

I get by fine with 10 lb braid. Even on my walleye casting rods. If drag is set right have never had one break off.

I have 8lb braid on my perch rods. Landed a 20 inch walleye and numerous large sheeps head this year without breaking off. Drag setting important.

Shore fishing from Kellys. If it were me I would fish for smallmouth around the rocks. You can see the fish from most locations around the island especially in North Bay. Check with someone local about bait types.

8-10 lb braid is plenty for fishing the western basin of Erie

Thanks to all on the feedback on line types! Very much appreciate the feedback and support!

Regarding reels for perch fishing ...... Amazon is currently offering a $31.99 deal for KastKing Royale Legend II Baitcaster, 17.64LB Carbon Fiber Drag, Cross-Fire 8 Magnet Braking System, Available in 5.4:1 and 7.2:1. I believe that I'd go with the 7.2:1. Does anyone recommend a particular brand/model/type?

All the advice is very helpful. My goal, by end of this fall, is to have posted at least 5 perching reports in and around the Sandusky, Marblehead, island area....pay it forward!

Check out perchguy.com. He runs the perch tournament out of Wild Wings and sells custom rods and has a good price on spinning reels.

Stox - you don't want a baitcaster for Perch fishing. You'll want a spinning reel. Depending on your budget, I've found the Daiwa Revros to be the best bang for your buck with a good drag system (I use it for variety of species bass, walleye, perch). Should be about $50.

And as most others have said, braid is the way to go for sensitivity purposes. You can get away with a less expensive/less sensitive rod and still get a good feel on those light bite days.
    Last edited by Bbrack34; 08-11-2022 at 06:04 AM.

I agree on the spinning reels. Especially makes it easier to fish two rods. And light rod. Having said that my buddy fishes with a broomstick of a rod and a bait casting reel and will out fish most people. Go figure.