Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

Fished twice this past week West of Kellys in 28 FOW. 3 persons both times. 150 total perch (64 lbs) fishing shiners on the bottom using in line rigs. Numerous 11 and 12 inch perch. Heard there is a better bite near Green island.

Baha299

Default Re: Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

nice job on the perch

Great. Glad your on them.
    Thanks for the report.
    Mike

What am I do wrong I fished west of Kelly's on Friday in with all the others out there did not catch a single perch

Impossible to say what your doing wrong without seeing it. Here's what you need to do. (1) Get good minnows for bait, preferably emeralds. (2) use your electronics so you know there are fish under you. (3) use sensitive graphite rods with braid so you can feel the bite. (4) if your not getting bites, move to another spot. (5) keep your weight on the bottom unless you are using spreaders. Drop spreader to the bottom and raise up a crank or two. I fish with 2 rods and hold them to feel the ticks of the bite. That also lets me cushion the wave action to keep my weights from lifting off the bottom.
    The most important thing about perch fishing is pay attention to details. Watch your rod tips and feel what's going on. Hope this helps.

Good advice from Wheezer. Perch for us have been biting very lightly; sometimes only a vibration in the line or tip of rod. We were teasing strikes by letting the bait fall to bottom and leaving it there (slack line) for about 5 seconds. Then slowly tighten line and anticipate a bite. That said we fished the same area Saturday 8-6-22 and only caught 12 perch. Lots of white perch now in that area. We started south of the 1000 boats near Green island but only had 5 keepers (8 inch or better) and threw back 20 plus small perch in the short time we were there. Just did not wish to deal with all the boats, Jet Express or the poker run go fast boats. Moved east to the west side of Kellys but only got the 12. Fished 830-12p for 17 total perch.

Baha299
    Last edited by Baha299; 08-07-2022 at 09:48 AM.

First post of hopefully many in the years to come. Purchased a 19 Whaler this spring with the intention to get reacquainted with the Western Basin after a 20 year hiatus. I am learning much from you all and taking notes on how to catch walleye (especially) and perch. My father raised me on drift fishing with Erie Dearies in the 70's (which I still prefer) but I am recognizing the benefits of trolling so need to get in the game.

Perched West of Kelly's on Saturday at 7:30am in 28 FOW in a bank of about 30 other boats. Did not notice anyone pulling in any perch. Landed only 3 with wife and daughter. Daughter decided to chum the waters for awhile after dealing with the 2' rollers which were fully felt due to the Whaler's 'flat' beam angle. Pulled up and moved to just East of the CP breakwall in 29 FOW. There were a couple of other boats doing the same but no perch (It's a bit early in the season to be off Cedar Point I believe).

I appreciate the advice from Old Wheezer in this blog string. Does anyone have a reasonably-priced graphite rod that they'd recommend for perch fishing? I have plenty of reels but want to refit them to good rods.

Happy and fruitful fishing to you all! I am super jacked to finally be able to have some time to enjoy the sport that I grew up on!

You can spend big bucks on rods. But first go to Walmart or Fish USA on line and look for Shakespeare ”micro graphic” Very moderately priced at $20 Light weight. Sensitive. You want the “light model”, not the “ultralight”. I have 6, 6.5, and 7. Depending on day and what the fish want sometimes one works better than other. I’m not a short rod guy but some folks like them and they did make them down to 5 footers too. You can spend more money for a rod but you can’t get more rod for the money than these. Good luck
    Last edited by LEfriend; 08-08-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Ditto on the braid. That’s the go to. But I have one spooled with mono and there are some days it out fished the braid. All about the bite and how they will take it on any given day.

Thanks for the feedback LEfriend! Will definitely look into the rods you suggested.

Regarding the line, I'll go with the braid. Can you recommend a line weight? My fear with going to a larger lb test (in case a walleye latches on) is that I'll lose some feel for the perch.