Any drifters out there Any drifters out there Any drifters out there Any drifters out there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any drifters out there

Hello,

Looking for a western basin walleye report from any drift fisherman out there. I know there aren't many of us left! I am just not into raking the water for meat and reeling in drowned half dead fish.

Thanks,

Frank

Default Re: Any drifters out there

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLepkowski View Post
    Hello,

Looking for a western basin walleye report from any drift fisherman out there. I know there aren't many of us left! I am just not into raking the water for meat and reeling in drowned half dead fish.

Thanks,

Frank
    There are plenty of walleye for drifters between Green Island and the firing range. the fish are in the middle of eh water column so try different counts until you start catching.

Quote Originally Posted by erie son View Post
    There are plenty of walleye for drifters between Green Island and the firing range. the fish are in the middle of eh water column so try different counts until you start catching.
    Crib / Niagara area. Did well Friday & Saturday. Watch graph & countdown to what you are marking. Fish are all over water column

casted between f and e can Saturday lots of boats scattered all through that area called it quits at 12;30 with 26 5 count with half ounce

Only have experience trolling but wouldn’t mind mixing in a little drift fishing. Does a “5 count” mean cast the bait, once it hits the water count to 5, then start slowly reeling in?

yes you are correct 1/2 ounce egg sinker on gold casting harness

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDays View Post
    Only have experience trolling but wouldn’t mind mixing in a little drift fishing. Does a “5 count” mean cast the bait, once it hits the water count to 5, then start slowly reeling in?
    Yes, that is correct. However, since everyone counts a bit differently. Here's what I do. On my first cast in an area, I will start counting as soon as it hits the water, and then stop counting when it hits the bottom. Let's say that the water is 24 feet deep and it hit the bottom at a 20 count. Then I know that 12 feet down would be a 10 count and 6 feet down would be a 5 count, etc. See where the fish are marking and target that depth. You may not mark the super shallow fish, so always mix in some higher counts now and then to see if they are high in the water column. Especially when it is calm and sunny.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Some first time casters may have trouble knowing when their rig hits bottom with a cast.An easier way to tell,is just drop line off side of boat and count till line stops coming off reel.Then you can do the math to figure out what count puts you, where in water column.A really in depth column on casting can be found on Coe Vanna Charters website.Go under fishing reports then under fishing techniques.

I prefer good speedy drifting that I can control with bags.

Thanks for the good info! And I’m assuming the choice for weight of the egg sinker (1/2oz all the way up to 1oz) is made based on how windy and how fast the drift/current is for the day? Thanks…