Went out fri from turtle point Went out fri from turtle point Went out fri from turtle point Went out fri from turtle point
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Went out fri from turtle point

WIND WAS CRASY. FISHED IN A PACK OF BOATS IN FRONT OF THE COOLING TOWER NOTHING, WENT OUT TO LUCUST- REEF MISTAKE IT WAS JUST ME AND A 18 FOOT BOAT AND I BET HE WAS SCARED BECUASE AS SOON AS I GOT THERE THE WIND PICKED UP MORE AND IT WAS RUFF FOR ME TO GET BACK IN A 25 FT. CRUISER. I KEPT AN EYE ON HIM UNTILL HE GOT CLOSE TO SHORE HE WAS JUST ABOUT DISAPERING IN THE SWELLS. GUYS IM JUST NOT GETTING THIS JIG THING I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOT 1 WALLY IN 2 1/2 DAYS OF FISHING NOT GIVING UP BUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WILL TAKE THIM. I HAVE A SOCK OUT DRIFTING ABOUT .7 TO 1 MILE AN HOUR USING HAIR JIGS TIPPED WITH MINNOW AND STINGERS. I CAN FEEL THE BOTTEM. HAVE FISHED AWAY FROM THE PACKS AND RIGHT IN THERE WITH THEM PICKING UP FISH ON THE FINDER BUT NEVER ON THE BOTTEM ALWAYS 2-4 FEET OFF. SO WHY DOES EVERYONE TELL ME TO FISH THE JIG RIGHT ON THE BOTTEM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Angry jiggin

It was very difficult friday 4/24/09 I was in that pack of boats in frt of DB the wind was a biggggg !!!!! factor most of the boats I saw were drifting with socks and still moving very fast I ended up anchoring to stay slow . did manage one walleye and a sheepshead I left the pack of boats because others were drifting into me and almost collided into me several times, you might get a second sock to slow you down more but remember in this cold water you want to try to jig as vertical as possible so you cant be moving to fast the fish wont chase a bait very far or fast and are more interested in spawning than eating but a hungry fish will grab a snack if dropped in frt of his nose, if not off instinct alone . also fish with a big minnow and a stinger hook drop it to the bottom and lift several inches but not real fast change the distance off the bottom till you see what works when a fish picks up the bait you may feel a tap or you will just feel an increase in the weight of your jig so set the hook on any different feel . the fellas I watched yankin on there rods were most likely using a balde bait these spawing fish are attracted by the vibration and when they get too close there snaged by one of the two trebble hooks on that lure , I did not see very many nets in the water so your results and mine were common I would have gone out further but only have a 16.5 starcraft 60 hp johnson and a 9.9 kicker white with red and blue stripe on the side gps antenae on frt so it was a little too rough for me you may have seen me on the inside of the pack in the 8 - 12 of water range I did catch the one as soon as I slowed down by anchoring so I know speed was a factor . I hope this helps let me know if you seen me and I hope it was not you that almost hit me I apologize to any one out there for anchoring up hope your nt but I wanted to try something different and it did work .
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 04-25-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

MLBMIKE- It is your lake too. Drop your anchor wherever you wish. It is kind to apologize but you did nothing wrong. Sounds like the anchor was the ticket. Fishermen perch fish among walleye fishermen quite often and it is ok. Think about it. You had undisturbed water under your boat that wasn't being run over by many many boats. Thanks for sharing that tip. Looks like I will be up on Mon/Tues and might try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAD KARMA View Post
    WIND WAS CRASY. FISHED IN A PACK OF BOATS IN FRONT OF THE COOLING TOWER NOTHING, WENT OUT TO LUCUST- REEF MISTAKE IT WAS JUST ME AND A 18 FOOT BOAT AND I BET HE WAS SCARED BECUASE AS SOON AS I GOT THERE THE WIND PICKED UP MORE AND IT WAS RUFF FOR ME TO GET BACK IN A 25 FT. CRUISER. I KEPT AN EYE ON HIM UNTILL HE GOT CLOSE TO SHORE HE WAS JUST ABOUT DISAPERING IN THE SWELLS. GUYS IM JUST NOT GETTING THIS JIG THING I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOT 1 WALLY IN 2 1/2 DAYS OF FISHING NOT GIVING UP BUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WILL TAKE THIM. I HAVE A SOCK OUT DRIFTING ABOUT .7 TO 1 MILE AN HOUR USING HAIR JIGS TIPPED WITH MINNOW AND STINGERS. I CAN FEEL THE BOTTEM. HAVE FISHED AWAY FROM THE PACKS AND RIGHT IN THERE WITH THEM PICKING UP FISH ON THE FINDER BUT NEVER ON THE BOTTEM ALWAYS 2-4 FEET OFF. SO WHY DOES EVERYONE TELL ME TO FISH THE JIG RIGHT ON THE BOTTEM?
    How are you rigging your sea anchor? Have you tried to run it from the bow or side cleat? Side cleat gives the slowest drift. You can supliment your sea anchor with another or a couple of 5 gallon buckets to help deaden speed. Try doing things some what the opposite of how you might in a month. Cast updrtift (with the wind) and get tight, lift slow and easy, stay tight and try to keep that jig 1-3 inches off the bottom. The eyes don't chase much as the water is so cold. Forget the jerking you see others do. They are often yanking the bait away from fish. I'm no master, but it is the only method that works for me. Especially in high wind. Have a quality rod with great sensativity and 8-12# braid to add to the feel. The strike is only a tap. A surgeon's precision is needed. Think slowwwwww and don't forget the stinger. Most fish are landed with the stinger in the cheek meat. Let me know if it helps.