Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022 Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022 Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022 Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022

Default Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022

Derek had made reservations last October, but we couldn't get out, so I moved him to this season, and we were able to make it out this morning. Yay!

Along with Derek, was his father Keith, and their friend, Joe. I told them I would pick them up at the White Caps Motel at 4:30 and they should be ready to go at that time. And, just like another Indiana crew I had a few weeks ago, when I arrived at 4:15, they were waiting on me to arrive.

They got in the truck, and we hit the gas station for some ice. I had already gassed up from the previous trip on my way home, yesterday. I decided to go launch over in Huron this morning, to try and get away from the Mayfly husks floating all around the islands right now.

We launched at 5:00 and were out of the channel by 5:15. It was a beautiful morning with no wind, and a cloudless sky. The horizon was starting to glow a beautiful Day Lilly orange with a yellow fade into a dark blue sky. It's hard to be anything but happy when you get to witness something like that. My crew must have agreed, because they were sure in a good mood this morning, too.

We headed ENE, out to the area I was in the last time I was over there, which was last week, and set up with spoons behind dipsies, and a couple Bandits behind Off Shore boards. The Solix wasn't marking much, so I wasn't sure if we should stay there, but it wasn't long before we started catching.

The zero setting dipsies were at 30 and 35 to start, and eventually both were set at 35.
    The two settings were at 40 and 50, and eventually both were set at 50.

Speed was 2.5mph.

The spoon bite was definitely better than the crank bait bite for us, this morning, too. I think we only caught three on the Bandits, and the other 21 were on spoons, along with the 20+ throwbacks, too. If they didn't measure 15 1/2 inches, I threw it back. I figure, once it goes on ice, it's going to shrink up, and I'm not going in with a short fish in the box, so it's better to be safe than sorry. A lot of those throwbacks were right on the 15" line, too.

Our average fish in the cooler were 16-17 inches, with a couple larger ones thrown in, but we didn't get any that I would consider "big fish" this morning. We had our 24 by 7:55am, and that made my crew happy, because they were ready for some breakfast.

Joe said he wants to come back to fish with me in April, and try for a trophy walleye, next season...and, that makes me happy.

Tomorrow, I have a husband and wife duo, and one of their father's, I think. She gave the trip to her husband as a birthday gift, because he's a fan, and reads all my reports, and wanted to go on a learning trip. I thought that was very nice of her to do that for him.

They originally booked two days, but it looks like Monday is going to be a blow day with gusty winds out of the NW, so we'll have to have all the fun tomorrow. The forecast is calling for the wind to pick up and rain to come in around 9am, so I'm hoping it's a good bite in the morning, and we can get all their fish early again.

We shall see....

Stay tuned...

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022-derek-keith-joe-6-25-20221-jpg Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022-derek-keith-joe-6-25-20223-jpg Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022-derek-keith-joe-6-25-20225-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Re: Fishing with Derek, Keith, and Joe 6/25/2022

Great information captain. I'm assuming the mayfly husk were not a problem. Been waiting for that. I caught a lot of 15-in fish myself couple weeks ago. Look forward to catching some of those when they get bigger. I'm going to try out of Huron on Tuesday. Will be my first time there. I will be prepared for the biting flies this time that was a real problem the last time I was out. Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Great information captain. I'm assuming the mayfly husk were not a problem. Been waiting for that.
    There was only one patch of Mayfly sheds that I saw this morning over there. Not an issue at all....yet.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

You always get the beautiful pics in the morning, keep them coming. Great info too, THANKS