Walleye or Perch Fishing?   Come Friday. Walleye or Perch Fishing?   Come Friday. Walleye or Perch Fishing?   Come Friday. Walleye or Perch Fishing?   Come Friday.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walleye or Perch Fishing? Come Friday.

I haven't been out in a month. Now I have friends coming into fish. I usually launch out of Mazurik. If I wanted to put them on fish would I be better off to take them perch fishing? I hear that you have go way north or far east for walleye. Any suggestions as to perch or walleye fishing this Friday? Reports are scarce. Bait shops say you can find walleye but it is a long run. Didn't ask about perch. Should have. Thanks.

Default Re: Walleye or Perch Fishing? Come Friday.

Not much reports of perch being caught.Its all walleye.Best to go for walleye.

Thank you for replying.

I don't get to come to the lake very often, between the winds and only getting one day off a week. Nonetheless, I went out of Lorain June 6th and caught a 3 man limit by noon of nice eaters. We started out trolling (my least favorite), to find the fish and once we did, casted a single hook with a blade and a few beads with a nice night crawler. I know that is a bit East but the fish were there and didn't have to go very far out. Found our fish in 40-50 feet of water and seriously didn't travel 2-3 miles. We launched out of Hot Water boat ramp and it public. Hope that helps.

Nice!

Only perch ive heard about is accidentally caught trolling for walleye. If you launch at Loraine it should be a short and sweet trip for eyes. Just keave the worms and spoons at home and grab the cranks and 2 ounce snap wieghts.

Walleye fishing has been great out of huron. If you launch out of Huron state ramp go east in front of cranberry marina to the Castle. A good starting point would be 36 FT of water then work your way out deeper. The launch ramp at cranberry marine is a pay ramp but you go straight out and you're there.

I'm fishing further west (Toledo Light area) and the bite is still great even after the mayfly hatch. Not sure if these fish behave differently than those around the islands, but I have no plans of chasing them as long as they are still hanging around where they've moved after the spawn.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The mayfly hatch always seems to slow the walleye fishing in the Western Basin, primarily within 8-10 miles or so of the shoreline and around the Islands. Once the hatch diminishes and then ends (late June diminishes, early July ends) walleye are once again caught in the Western Basin closer to shore and around the Islands. There are good numbers of walleye in the Western Basin right now, it's just catching them that is more difficult. This coming weekend will probably still be slow, but you can find walleye and catch them if you find the right spot and lure presentation. If you have a viable choice this coming weekend, yes, I'd fish the western part of the Central Basin - out off Huron and even Cedar Point / east of Kelleys Island. You'll most likely have an easier time catching walleye there.

The only perch action I've heard of was last week off the west side of the Camp Perry range. Someone reported they did pretty well, but I don't remember exactly where.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrack34 View Post
    I'm fishing further west (Toledo Light area) and the bite is still great even after the mayfly hatch. Not sure if these fish behave differently than those around the islands, but I have no plans of chasing them as long as they are still hanging around where they've moved after the spawn.

What area have you been fishing? 2 weeks ago we were killing them SW of West Sister, but I heard they moved out North & East of W. Sister. We dock at Meinke's and I don't really want to run 14 miles out to find fish. Thanks in advance.