Casting/Drifting help Casting/Drifting help Casting/Drifting help Casting/Drifting help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Casting/Drifting help

Hi all,
    I’m going to try to get my family out for some walleye fishing Saturday (6/11) and/or Sunday (6/12). I keep my boat at Lost Peninsula Marina in the Western Basin and we have both Ohio & Michigan licenses. Looking for help on location recommendations not too far. I was thinking the dumping grounds in Michigan or trying East of the water intake or near West Sister. What colors and lures are folks using currently? Any help to get my kids on the fish would be appreciated.

Default Re: Casting/Drifting help

it's been yrs since i fished the western basin but we just let the wind drift us with weight forward spinners in 3/8 to 5/8 in green, yellow, and pink was good colors but tried any other color we had. this was before the zebra cleared the water and the fish numbers dropped so bad. then we started trolling with 2 9' rods out the side 2 rods off each corner straight back with hot n tots and wiggle warts mostly but tried anything in our bait box. when we were drifting we used spinning reels and let out about 100' to 200' of line then set our rods against the side of the boat and just drifted with the wind. all our fishing was done around west sister. we would start south of the island and if the fishing wasn't good we moved to the n/w or between middle and west sister. with all the fish in the lake now i would think drifting would be good again. good luck to you out there. and if i might be able to help you with anything just message me. ch 79 or 68 on your marine radio.

Last weekend was probably the best fishing I have experienced on Lake Erie. We fished 7 miles out of Meinke's Marina (between the Intake and West Sister. We limited out Friday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday evening in less than 90 minutes each trip. Only had to make 1 drift each time. Casting weapons (Gold and Purple) with half a crawler. We were throwing back 20 inch fish after we limited. We've never had that much non-stop action. Very little trash fish. Don't know how these storms and the mayfly hatch will affect fishing, but it is on fire right now!!

Quote Originally Posted by sickle View Post
    Last weekend was probably the best fishing I have experienced on Lake Erie. We fished 7 miles out of Meinke's Marina (between the Intake and West Sister. We limited out Friday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday evening in less than 90 minutes each trip. Only had to make 1 drift each time. Casting weapons (Gold and Purple) with half a crawler. We were throwing back 20 inch fish after we limited. We've never had that much non-stop action. Very little trash fish. Don't know how these storms and the mayfly hatch will affect fishing, but it is on fire right now!!
    When you say weapons what are you using, crawler harnesses, how are you rigging. I know that depth in that area is around 25ft. You using a 2oz bottom bouncer with a crawler harness?? Anybody still using erie dearies

Yes,people are using erie dearie to cast.And yes,you can use a harness off a bottom bouncer to drag while drifting or even trolling.A weapon is a type of worm harness that you cast.You place an egg sinker 18-24" in front of the blade/hooks and cast like an erie dearie.Takes a little time to get used to casting,because the rig sometimes tangles up on itself depending on your casting style.

Look up Coe Vanna Charters website.Go under their fishing reports and click on fishing techniques.Well written article on casting for walleye.The best color for a weapon or harness is a gold #4 Colorado blade.That is supposed to imitate the mayfly coming out of the mud to the surface.That mayfly hatch should be in full swing in 7-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Look up Coe Vanna Charters website.Go under their fishing reports and click on fishing techniques.Well written article on casting for walleye.The best color for a weapon or harness is a gold #4 Colorado blade.That is supposed to imitate the mayfly coming out of the mud to the surface.That mayfly hatch should be in full swing in 7-10 days.
    OK I will do that, I'm interested now, I have drifted bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses, I have trolled jet divers and spoons along with bandits on boards, never have I casted a weapon before, now I'm interested, especially with fuel prices this year, seen a mayfly hatch just happened, how us the fishing still, haven't been out in a couple weeks, back to the harness you put the egg sinker at the very end of the line then your blade and hooks?? Thanks again tight lines

The egg sinker does not go on end of line.The weapon has a loop and bead tied into it.The loop is inserted inside egg sinker and bead prevents sinker from sliding down and loop is then placed inside swivel.Google it.They have illustrations of what they look like.

BTW this is what a mayfly looks like underwater. They don't get wings until they get above the surface and shed their skin.
    Casting/Drifting help-mayfly-underwater-jpg

Rickerd

When fishing is that good try a weapon without any bait! You’d be surprised how many you catch. I will say most won’t hit twice but when your pulling that many fish who cares and no buying or worrying about worms. More of a steady medium retrieve is the best for this. Couldn’t tell you how many times we ditched the worms