Trip Trip Trip Trip

Thread: Trip

Default Trip

We are coming up next weekend for 4 days. I hope there are some walleye still around. As I read these post it sounds like they are jumping in the boat. Lol. Should I start east of the islands? We have both Spoons and Bandits are will be trolling. We are so lucky to have this fishery on Erie!!

Default Re: Trip

Quote Originally Posted by TabBiser View Post
    We are coming up next weekend for 4 days. I hope there are some walleye still around. As I read these post it sounds like they are jumping in the boat. Lol. Should I start east of the islands? We have both Spoons and Bandits are will be trolling. We are so lucky to have this fishery on Erie!!
    The bite is really good all over the Western Basin right now. The wind and weather usually dictates the available options on any given day, so I always take that into consideration first. The biggest number of large fish are East of the Islands by now, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't get plenty of them around the Islands or even West of the Islands. I really like the area up by the CAN line from West Reef, all the way to about 5-6 miles East of the Islands this time of the year. That whole area usually holds some really nice fish. We typically start by fishing near the reefs, but not on them. If that doesn't pan out, we start venturing out into "open water" further East (weather permitting). If the wind is bad, then we usually try to hide behind the Islands and make due with what we have access to that day. I always look for the chalky/greenish water. Not too clean, not too dirty. That is usually where they will be stacked up. If you have clear days, you can see where that water is on the NASA Worldview website. I wrote an article about how to find the right color water. Here's a link to it if you want to read it. Article: Finding the right water color on Lake Erie or Lake St. Clair
    – Slimshady Customs

The article right before that one shows some examples of what I am looking for in terms of water color. Good luck! Probably won't need it though this year. It is on fire right now.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Thanks, we are looking for good eaters. How Far East of the islands should we start?

Thanks, we are looking for good eaters. How Far East of the islands should we start?
    In that case, you don't need to even go East. They are everywhere in the Western Basin right now. Shallow, deep, you name it. You can pretty much launch anywhere and get to water that is 20 feet or more and not too dirty and not too clean and you should have good marks. If not, just troll with the waves until you mark some or catch some. I usually keep going and try to create a "milk-run" of waypoints. If I go more than 15 mins without a fish, or if the screen is void, then I pull lines, and run back up-wind of my first set of marks. Seriously, if a person can't catch fish on the Western Basin right now, they might want to take up another sport. It is just that good. Bandits, spoons, harnesses, you name it. This article might help as well: Article: Crankbaits, harnesses or spoons, which option should I choose
    – Slimshady Customs
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Here's the most recent clear satellite view from Nasa Worldview. If you look at the image, you can see that the water color between S Bass and Kelley's has a slight stain to it. The water immediately N of Kelley's looks a little too clear, but if closer to the CAN line it has some stain again. That is the water color that I look for. The area immediately to the E of Kelley's has that color too, out a few miles, then it gets too clear (IMO). There are tons of other areas that look good too, but those are some that stick out to me when I look at the view.

Trip-nasa-wv_june_2-jpg

Thanks, so i should look for clean/clear water? Should i start in 40-45 fow and travel east south east?

Hey Tab,
    There are not many places in WB that have 40 fow. Start in 15-20 fow if you are out before 8am. Then move a bit deeper if sun comes out. Start near your port and when you mark good fish try to catch them. Look at a contour map and find areas of drop offs, humps, points under water. Find different bottom like rock, sand, clay and fish those edges. You don't need to travel far to find the fish at this time.

Rickerd

Ditto to others. You don't need to run far to catch eaters.

As to clean water, NO. You don't want muddy or clean. Look for stained water.

Trust your electronics. If you are marking fish no reason to run all over. There are fish everywhere right now.
    Mike

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Tabiser,

You don't need to go running all over looking for deeper or certain water clarity. Limits are being taken in the South Passage literally a mile and half off shore. The South Passage is the area between the south tip of South Bass Island and Catawba Point to the south east tip of Kelleys Island and Marblehead. They have been limiting out in a few hours for well over a week now, and again today. No reason that area shouldn't be producing all weekend again. Yes, most are "eater size" walleye 16-18" but there are some bigger ones tossed in too. Drift fishing or trolling, although there has been no reason to troll as drift fishing is doing just as well and it's much easier. If you want a try at bigger fish go east a little from there off Cedar Point.

Thanks, so i should look for clean/clear water? Should i start in 40-45 fow and travel east south east?
    No, the greenish slightly stained water is better. It can be hard to catch them if it is too clean. Here's an article about it if you want more details and examples with photos.

Article: Reading water color for more crankbait walleyes on Erie & St.
    – Slimshady Customs

In some parts of the lake, there is structure. In other parts the water color is the structure.
    Last edited by slimshady; 06-06-2022 at 01:42 PM.