Trolling without Boards Trolling without Boards Trolling without Boards Trolling without Boards

Default Trolling without Boards

First post here.... usually I'm fishing solo, and legally only being able to have 3 lines in the water, I typically have a line off each side of the boat and one in the middle. Dont even use line counters and use spinning reels only, make the cast and get them between 40 and 80 ft out, sometimes more depending on what results are telling me. I usually have different lengths out and assess from there. No I dont cover as much area, but when I mark the fish, i know i getting the baits in their face. The only problem i have with this is on occasion getting a line tangled when a bait isn't running true.

If I have another person on board, I also run lines off the front of the boat as well. With a motor on the front of the boat, there are no worries about getting a line caught in the motor. Its nice because each person can set up their "side" of the boat the way they like, one up front, on in the back, and one up the middle.

What I'm curious about is anyone else fishing like this, even on occasion? Its nice because its quick to set up and quick to change spots if necessary. Can't say what I'm doing is orthodox, I know its not, but I generally don't have an issue getting fish or even limits for that matter.

Default Re: Trolling without Boards

I usually run 3 boards when going solo, but occasionally will run 1 on each side with a worm harness with a 1-2 oz. weight out the back. When 2 of us are fishing, I usually run 2 boards on each side, and a worm harness with a 1-2 oz. inline weight out of each back corner of the boat.

Why 3 off the one side? Just to stay off the turbulence from the boat I'm guessing?

Google up church stern planner board. It'll let you run your lines without getting the tangles and are very easy to set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    First post here.... usually I'm fishing solo, and legally only being able to have 3 lines in the water, I typically have a line off each side of the boat and one in the middle. Dont even use line counters and use spinning reels only, make the cast and get them between 40 and 80 ft out, sometimes more depending on what results are telling me. I usually have different lengths out and assess from there. No I dont cover as much area, but when I mark the fish, i know i getting the baits in their face. The only problem i have with this is on occasion getting a line tangled when a bait isn't running true.

If I have another person on board, I also run lines off the front of the boat as well. With a motor on the front of the boat, there are no worries about getting a line caught in the motor. Its nice because each person can set up their "side" of the boat the way they like, one up front, on in the back, and one up the middle.

What I'm curious about is anyone else fishing like this, even on occasion? Its nice because its quick to set up and quick to change spots if necessary. Can't say what I'm doing is orthodox, I know its not, but I generally don't have an issue getting fish or even limits for that matter.
    I do that quite often, especially with harnesses. I run heavier in-line sinkers off the front, then lighter ones off the back, with one board out on each side. I wrote an article a while back that covers this very topic. Here is a link to it:Article: Crankbaits, harnesses or spoons, which option should I choose
    – Slimshady Customs

Another option would be to run Size 0 Dipsey divers off the front on a 3 setting and then in-line sinkers, jets or mini-discs straight off the back. Jets would be good because when you slow down they rise, while the dipseys sink, so they should not tangle and it gives the fish different looks. If you wanted to add 2 more lines, you could run a second pair of dipseys on a 1 setting in the middle or run one set of boards out. You could run shallow diving cranks, spoons or even harnesses off of the jets or dipseys. Keep in mind that those things all work best at different speeds, so I wouldn't suggest running them at the same time.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

We don't really fish like that but hey, if it works, it works. Doesn't matter if it's orthodox or not. The advantage of using the inline planer boards is that they spread your baits out much wider so you're essentially covering more water while trolling. As far as tangles go, we'll still get tangled with the inline boards occassionally (ok, maybe even more than occassionally). Line counter reels aren't a neccessity but they do make it easier. Do what works for you but don't be afraid to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM1969 View Post
    We don't really fish like that but hey, if it works, it works. Doesn't matter if it's orthodox or not. The advantage of using the inline planer boards is that they spread your baits out much wider so you're essentially covering more water while trolling. As far as tangles go, we'll still get tangled with the inline boards occassionally (ok, maybe even more than occassionally). Line counter reels aren't a neccessity but they do make it easier. Do what works for you but don't be afraid to try something different.
    There's no doubt that using boards and spreading your baits out is the most efficient way to catch them. The only reason that I avoid using them at times is the "fun-factor", If I can catch my limit on light spinning gear, I would much rather do it that way. Some days we start out using 6 boards until we locate them and dial-them in. Then we switch it up and either cast for them, or troll with mostly "boat rods". I really like having a rod in my hand so I can tease them into biting and feel the hit, etc. I don't do that with cranks because it is hard on the wrist after a few minutes.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

I fished like that for 2 years. Caught plenty of fish. Ran all flat lines with Strike king xd5`s. I now run 4 Dream weaver ninja boards, and 2 flat lines off the back. Success varies , between boards and flat lines. I certainly enjoy bringing them in on the flat lines more! But have less trouble with tangles running boards.