Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022 Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022 Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022 Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022

Default Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022

Mark and Jim are two more of my long time customers. I think I met them for the first time, the first year, when I started guiding 11 years ago.

The morning's forecast was looking like another beautiful day to be on the lake. Clear skies, kind of warm, but still a little chilly in the mornings...and very little wind out of the ESE. It was probably around 3 mph, so there was just a ripple on the water's surface, when we headed out of Catawba, at 5:45.

"Are you going to be warm enough?", I asked Jim, who was only wearing a sweatshirt, with a flannel over it, and a pair of jeans. Mark wasn't dressed much warmer, so I asked him too. "No, I'll be fine", he said. "Okay", I thought to myself...while wearing jeans with my suit that has the fuzzy warm lining, and is windproof..."They're going to get cold". I know how chilly it can be on the cooler mornings...especially, when the water temps are still only in the mid-50's, right now. I knew they weren't dressed right, but I can only do and say so much.

Anyway...to the fishing...
    We caught their limits, and some of mine..before moving to another spot. The first spot was where every boat in the western basin was this morning, I think. I was one of the first to the area, so our first pass was pretty easy, and we caught most of our fish in that first pass. Once it got crowded, it was time to leave.

Bandits behind Off Shore planer boards at (port) 80, 70,60, 50....35, 53, 67, 77 (starboard) Guess which side I set up... All numbers caught a fish, or two, today.

Speed was 1-8-2.0 mph...we caught at slower speeds and higher speeds too.
    Water temp was 55.7

The second spot was up by North Bass, and we caught 2 on Bandits at 75 and 80 back at 1.8 mph.

Colors used today in the order of their catch rate...
    Carrot Top
    Chrome Barbie
    Sunspot
    Taco Salad
    Chrome Perch (but, to be fair..(insert LetterKenny echo here! Ha!).. it didn't get put on until late morning, and did catch one pretty fast, so it might have been a better one to have out longer today)
    Blue Chrome let me down today....weird.

Mark and Jim did a great job today, and will be back at it again tomorrow. They will also be back to fish with me again in June and July, and that makes me happy!

I think we'll be launching out of Mazurik's in the morning.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022-mark-cassel-jim-5-12-20224-jpg Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022-mark-cassel-jim-5-12-20222-jpg Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022-mark-cassel-jim2-5-12-20221-jpg Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022-mark-cassel-jim-5-12-20221-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Re: Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022

Great report Juls, as always! Thank you. For someone that gets to fish that area but 1 or 2 times a year at best, your reports are the closest thing to actually being there!
    Now that your new boat doesn't have a kicker motor, I'm assuming it's your Ulterra dragging you along at 1.8-2.0? I'm also guessing your Verado would push you at 2.5-3.0 at idle?
    Just curious how you are trolling.
    Thanks again for all your great reports!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc9999 View Post
    Great report Juls, as always! Thank you. For someone that gets to fish that area but 1 or 2 times a year at best, your reports are the closest thing to actually being there!
    Now that your new boat doesn't have a kicker motor, I'm assuming it's your Ulterra dragging you along at 1.8-2.0? I'm also guessing your Verado would push you at 2.5-3.0 at idle?
    Just curious how you are trolling.
    Thanks again for all your great reports!
    Where did you get the idea that my new boat won't have a kicker motor? It will have a 15 on it.
    [email protected]

Hi Juls,
    Thanks for responding, you are my favorite poster on this whole board.
    Just by the picture you posted on this thread, there doesn't appear to be a kicker to the starboard side of that Verado. Are you fishing in a temporary boat until your new boat arrives? (I apologize if you have already explained in a previous thread)
    The only reason I am asking is because I have a 24' bay boat with a 350 Suzuki and as slow as I can get is 2.4 going into wind/waves and my 112 Ulterra wont pull me over 1.5 on Erie without being on 80% or higher...and I don't want to run 8+ on the trolling motor for hours at a time. Just looking for possible solutions to be able to troll with a big boat that doesn't have a kicker. It's probably boiling down to a couple things, I ether need to learn to drift & cast or just break down and get a kicker to be able to troll slow enough.
    Thanks again for all your reports, you are awesome!
    Jim

The easiest solution would be to get two trolling bags (ie drift-socks) to slow down your boat. However, I would never venture onto the Great Lakes w/o a kicker. For safety reasons, if nothing else. But that’s me. Everyone has their own level of risk they are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc9999 View Post
    Hi Juls,
    Thanks for responding, you are my favorite poster on this whole board.
    Just by the picture you posted on this thread, there doesn't appear to be a kicker to the starboard side of that Verado. Are you fishing in a temporary boat until your new boat arrives? (I apologize if you have already explained in a previous thread)
    The only reason I am asking is because I have a 24' bay boat with a 350 Suzuki and as slow as I can get is 2.4 going into wind/waves and my 112 Ulterra wont pull me over 1.5 on Erie without being on 80% or higher...and I don't want to run 8+ on the trolling motor for hours at a time. Just looking for possible solutions to be able to troll with a big boat that doesn't have a kicker. It's probably boiling down to a couple things, I ether need to learn to drift & cast or just break down and get a kicker to be able to troll slow enough.
    Thanks again for all your reports, you are awesome!
    Jim
    That's because it's on the port side...

Have you tried using drift socks to slow it down, first?
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Mark and Jim 5/12/2022-fishing-chris-utter-jim-stedke-3_10_228-jpg 
    [email protected]