Fishing with John 5/10/2022 Fishing with John 5/10/2022 Fishing with John 5/10/2022 Fishing with John 5/10/2022
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing with John 5/10/2022

I was able to kind of salvage a lost two day trip, due to big winds, by filling the second of the two days, with a willing customer. I had told him that the bite might be a little tough after the lake got riled up, like it did, but he still wanted to come.

John, drove in this morning from 4 hours away. I told him we could start later, so that he didn't have to start driving at 2AM to be there by 6AM, when I usually meet my crews.

I was at the park for a half an hour, re-rigging stuff before John pulled in, in his shiny blue truck...a half an hour early! "We're already off to a great start", I thought to myself..."He's a half an hour early, yay! I like this guy already."

We launched out of Catawba, and did a half a pass at Clinton Reef. The water looked good there, but we didn't stay long. Nothing was happening, so we picked up and headed north to the islands. We set up between the bass islands and did a short pass in there too. I wasn't marking anything and nothing was happening...so, we left.

Next, we headed down to G Can and set up with Bandits on the starboard side, and Flicker Minnow 11s on the port side. By this time, John has easily learned how to run the Off Shore boards, and is running his own side. His side was set up with the Flicker Minnows at 75, 65, and 55. Perch Chrome, Blue Shiner, and Purple Shiner.

The Bandits are running 18, 33, and 47...colors are Carrot Top, Sunspot, and Furmi-Nuff

Speed is 1.7-1.8 mph

Water temps is 51.7

We caught a small 17 1/2 inch eye on a Carrot Top Bandit at 18 back, and then, one on the Chrome Perch Flicker Minnow at 75 back. This second fish, was John's first personal best at 24 1/2 inches long. I didn't weigh it, but it was all of 3 1/2 to 4 pounds.
    We caught another small eater....I don't remember what it was on, sorry.
    Then, we caught a bigger fish...John's Newwww Personal Best...which was a nice 29 inch specimen. It made John very happy, and that makes me happy.

Long story short....we caught a few more, but that was it. 5 in the cooler and 2 shorts that we had to throw back. We tried changing out the Flickers for Mag 44s, but they didn't catch either. Then, we changed those out for the Ripplin Redfin with 2oz snap weights...they didn't catch either, so they came off. Then, we tried using the Jointed Deep Husky Jerk....fire tiger, blue/orange belly, purple/white/orange belly....those didn't produce either. We changed directions and headed into the waves this time, since the waves had calmed down to 1 foot or less....nothing.

It was a tough day of fishing, but it was certainly the day to be on the lake. While she didn't give up her fish, to us anyway, the lake was relaxing. The wind was out of the SSE at 13mph at 7:30am, the air temps was in the 50s, and rose to the 60s, as the day went on. The sky was partly cloudy, so when the sun did come out, you could scan your eye over the water's surface, and see the clear mud-lines out there.

I had a good time fishing with John. He put no pressure on me, even though the results were not what either of us wanted, but I had anticipated. I had let John know yesterday, that he could back out, due to a predicted tough bite, if he wanted, but he kept the trip..."I just really need to get out of this office for a little while", John said. Sounded rational to me, so that's what we did today....we caught a fish here and there, tried to understand and solve the world's problems, we smoked a cigar, listened to good music....and, enjoyed the morning. Mission accomplished, I think.

Would we have liked to catch more fish, this morning? Hell, yes! But, it is what it is. Tomorrow, is another day, and another chance, to catch them. I hope the currents straighten themselves out, and the bite turns on. Seems they are pretty scattered right now.

Tomorrow, I have a repeat customer, from Wisco, who I have fished with for a few years now. He's always a good time. I don't know if he is bringing his wife, or his buddy this time, so I guess I'll know in the morning.

The forecast is looking pretty awesome for the next 5 days, so if you get out on the lake, good luck to you, and be safe! Know the right of way...lol

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with John 5/10/2022-john-williams-5-10-20221-jpg Fishing with John 5/10/2022-john-williams-5-10-20222-jpg 
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 05-10-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Re: Fishing with John 5/10/2022

Thanks for the report, hoping the lake stays calm for a few days now.

Thank you again Capt Juls for all of your great reports. Very admirable!

Thanks Captain, I appreciate you sharing for those of us that look forward to getting out once in a while

thanks for your reports Juls. Also, you are showing exemplary customer service by offering to cancel a trip the day before when you think it will be challenging. Not all captains care like you seem to.

Best of Luck,
    Rickerd

I'm trying to get out there this weekend but, my 2nd daughter is graduation CSU so celebrating both days. I might be able to get out Sunday morning though.

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    I'm trying to get out there this weekend but, my 2nd daughter is graduation CSU so celebrating both days. I might be able to get out Sunday morning though.
    Good luck, if you go out Sunday. Have fun!
    [email protected]

Thanks again for your "shout-out" about "Fermi-Nuff". After your last post, I sold out of them very quickly. I made 20 more of them and half of those are already gone. I can't make them fast enough! So thank you!! It's been a great pattern that was a result of some input that I received from the MI Sportsman's Forum. It was originally clear in the middle, but they suggested the pearl white and the name. I may have to make a chrome version of it. If I can get caught up on the demand for the ones I have now. Cheers!
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    I may have to make a chrome version of it.
    Awesome! And, yes, you need to make a chrome version of that one. Let me know when I can order some.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Awesome! And, yes, you need to make a chrome version of that one. Let me know when I can order some.
    I am on it. I will get some painted up this weekend. I will send you pics of it when I get it done and let you know when I get it added to my catalog. Tight lines!
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    I am on it. I will get some painted up this weekend. I will send you pics of it when I get it done and let you know when I get it added to my catalog. Tight lines!
    The "Big Bad Bill" color worked great this morning and took most of the fish. Looks like you're getting another order from me. lol
    [email protected]