Trolling with spoons Trolling with spoons Trolling with spoons Trolling with spoons

Default Trolling with spoons

Hey fellas, I am wanting to get into trolling with spoons. I believe I need to invest in either dipsy divers or jet divers, what do you guys reccomend, if you prefer jet divers what color should I get, I'm on the western basin of erie. Usually go out of metzgers and troll by besse off the reefs, I guess they both work the same way, the more line you let out the deeper it goes, can somebody please give me some pointers on trolling with divers and maybe a depth chart for them, i usually just run bandits now but i am gonna switch it up a bit, thanks for all the help on here from you guys. I really really appreciate it, tight lines, hope the weather cooperates this weekend so we can get back out there

Default Re: Trolling with spoons

We run our scorpion spoons off our #1 dipsey divers.Use a 7ft 20# seaguar flourocarbon leader with swivel on one end and snap on other side.We normally run 4 dipseys at a 1 and 3 setting.Work great in the deeper water east of bass/kellies islands.Not so much in shallower water.I have never used jets, but most charters use Tru Trip 40s and big boards with their spoons.Probably the most effective way to catch walleye on erie.If you are going to run spoons off inline boards,can be done with with jets or sinkers.But personally,i would stick with your bandits off your inline boards during the summer.The dive charts for everything can get online.

Default Re: Trolling with spoons

True trip divers pull pretty hard on inline boards. I do it sometimes but it is not my favorite approach. I use tadpoles or trolling sinkers with same results as divers. In the western basin that usually means 15 to 18 feet down generally but not always. My friend runs big boards so hard pulling divers isn't an issue for him. It's just what you feel comfortable with. Never used dipsys so I cannot comment on them. Spoons keep the boat cleaner than crawlers too so that is a plus.