Where Are The Reefs Where Are The Reefs Where Are The Reefs Where Are The Reefs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where Are The Reefs

This is my second year fishing. Live in Detroit area and fish out of lake Erie metropark. It seems like most of you are in Ohio. Where are the reefs? That is mentioned a lot in the posts. I have a 16' smokercraft so I am not going to venture too far out.
    Also, where is L can?
    Thanks to ALL of you for the good reading and advice.

Wink gps # for L -can

L - can 41.39.90 n 83.06.30 w I can give you what ever you are looking for just let me know which ones.

BURNIN DAYLIGHT
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

Wink Gps#

If any one has any requests for gps # just ask and specify i check in daily

be glad to help

i will not bs you.

Burnin daylight.
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

Default Reefs

Quote Originally Posted by tjenkins View Post
    This is my second year fishing. Live in Detroit area and fish out of lake Erie metropark. It seems like most of you are in Ohio. Where are the reefs? That is mentioned a lot in the posts. I have a 16' smokercraft so I am not going to venture too far out.
    Also, where is L can?
    Thanks to ALL of you for the good reading and advice.
    tjenkins,

The reefs everyone is refering to are out of the Oak Harbor, Ohio area (in front of Davis Bessie power plant). L can is one of the markers for the Camp Perry fireing range also in that area ie A can, B can, C can, D can.... You may want to buy a map of the lake their only about $10 bucks and then you can see where people are talking about and most of the maps I've seen/purchased have GPS coordinates for the most common areas. If you plan on fishing either of the two spots you are inquireing about you will need to trailer your boat to one of the many marinas in the area ie Fenwick, Wild Wings, Lamberjacks, Mienke (spelling ?). Even launching from Sterling State park in Monroe to any of those areas in a 16' boat is not anything I'm sure anyone would recommend. I live in Dundee and I trailer both a 17' Lund and a 21' Trophy rather than cross the water. By water from your area I'm guessing would be a 40 mile trip each way??? By driving to Oak Harbor I'm guessing it's only 2-3 miles to the reefs.

True Blue and Jason Ferrick are trying to put you on the fish. Trailer your boat around the bend and set up anywhere near Camp Perry/ Oak Harbor and you will be very close to the fish. Just make sure to check if they are firing in the impact area. It is seldom anymore. You won't have to go more than a few miles in your boat to be on them.

Default good chart

T--I have been in that same situation myself and maybe this could help you. I bought a gps and a really good chart of the western basin. Go to www.waterproofcharts.com. I believe the cost is $24.95 plus shipping. The chart shows all marker bouys, light bouys, reefs, shoals, dumping grounds ect. from south shore to up north of Pelee Is.-- West Sister east of Kellys Island .Water depth,latitude and longitude is provided. Chart is waterproof. The other guys on here may be able to direct you to a less expensive map, however I think this is well worth the money. If you want co-ordinates contact me on e-mail. Good luck

Default Coordinates

Try this site for coordinates: www.walleyecapital.com/gps.html

Post location, location

Best bet is to pick up a $9 laminated map at any bait store when you get your minnows. Here's a site online to help you in the mean time, since I'm a visual guy and need to see where im headed.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14830.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by wallenharms View Post
    Best bet is to pick up a $9 laminated map at any bait store when you get your minnows. Here's a site online to help you in the mean time, since I'm a visual guy and need to see where im headed.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14830.shtml
    That is a great chart. If you zoom in on the highlighted area, you can see all of the reefs. The Southern most corner is the only portion of the impact area Camp Perry fires in. If you look at it on the map, and see the boundry markers, it looks like a piece of pie. When people say they were fishing the pie, that is the spot.

Default thanks

thanks for the information. I will be looking up these locations on the map. I make sure that I do not venture too far from shore. When the waves kick up, I need to get back. 5 miles is my comfort level. went toward Monroe last summer on really calm day about ten miles but close to shore. Boat moves pretty good on calm water so I guess that makes me a fair weather fsherman.
    Hope I see you all on the water.
    TJ