Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW

Default Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW

Hi fellow walleye warriors! I'm brand new to posting here but I sure love this site. It was too tough for my little boat out there Friday and we got beat up. We fished Saturday 4/24 West of the islands. I marked TONS of fish from 5-11 feet down. I believe I messed up by running bandits too low as they wouldn't bite? I was 25-45 feet back. We only got one on the 45 back rod. I assume they were in fact walleyes? Do you experienced folks catch them up that high? Thank you all so much....captains and others who offer so much supportive info. We only come in from afar a couple times per year. Cheers and best wishes to you all out there!!

Default Re: Saturday in 27 - 30 FOW

I have caught them on leads of 20 feet over 20 feet of water as late as fathers day out of Rocky River.
    Rickerd

Hey thanks Rickerd! I've only fished Erie a couple years now. Never got them that high even though I probably marked a thousand up there...lol. Seems I have probably been running below them all this time. Next time I mark them up there, I'll try 10, 15, 20 and 25. And run shallowest the farthest out right? Thanks again yo everyone who helps with these posts!!

longest leads are further out. Unless your inside lines run and steeper angle than outside. This allows your outside lines to travel over the inside lines when bringing in a fish. Hopefully. But that is why longest leads go outside.

Unless you are running big boards, then it doesn't matter since a fish will pull out the line and fall back to the chute.

Rickerd

Yes Sir. I run big boards. Longest outside normally for sure. For very shallow leads I thought I would try shallowest outside due to spooky fish in clearer water. Let's say I run 15, 20 and 25 it 30. The extra line out to the releases will allow them to swing over. I have been fishing underneath them many times I am afraid. Next time I may shut down and drift and cast too?

We were west of the islands Saturday and did well at all depths. We were bringing in one of our lines and I saw a walleye follow the lure from about 5 feet in back of the boat and he hit it right at the boat at the top of the water.

Wow. Thanks PatSea for the info!