4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas 4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas 4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas 4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas

Default 4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas

Saturday made it out on my first trip fishing this year. Didn't make it out until late morning / afternoon.
    Started about 10 AM at the Huron Dump. Fished 3 lines since I was solo. Line lengths from 50 to 120 tried throughout my trip. Various bandit colors and tried a reef runner and mag 44 that has produced in the last. Speed range from 1.2 to 2.0. Only had one take back on a Glare Bandit. After about 2 to 3 hours and only 1 fish and not great marks moved to the cedar point dump. Stopped when I ran over quite a few marks. Set up the same pattern and got no takers. Passed over some nice looking marks mostly toward the bottom. Wonder if dragging meat (crawler) would have been better. Or closer to Kelleys island shallower water. With the sun bright I didn't think the walleye would be shallow and the water wasn't very dirty where I was.

I was undecided on trying off at ruggles reef (east of huron). But I didn't. From reading the posts here, I should have made the long run to the proving ground or around the islands. I dock in the Huron river so Catawba is about 18 miles.

Still lots to learn in my 2nd year on Lake Erie.

Default Re: 4/23 first trip of the year Huron and Cedar point dump areas

my wife and I also went out of Huron around 7 AM and started just east of the Huron dump. We had good marks but only one taker. We made a move to about 40 ft of water out from the castle and trolled east. We slowed our speed to 1.2 to 1.5 and had our limit by 10:00. We made another move to vermilion in about 40 ft of water and had great marks there. It was around 11:00 and we did well there also but around 12:00 it slowed down and caught one every now and then. Glare, carrot top and gator flash worked for us.

Thanks for the reply Verno. I wasn't able to get out earlier sadly. Sounds like I guessed wrong going west instead of east. I'll try by Ruggles next time out and maybe head toward Vermillion and Lorain.

We started about 10am at Huron Dump. Nothing really on fire, would go through a pod of fish and pick up a double. Fished until 2pm got 9. Most fish came 50 back, some 30/30 2oz. Most were on chartreuse colors. Speed was 1.5-1.8