Saturday west of Rattlesnake Saturday west of Rattlesnake Saturday west of Rattlesnake Saturday west of Rattlesnake

Default Saturday west of Rattlesnake

Today was our first time out this year. We were one of the many boats west and north of Rattlesnake today. It is the third place we tried and is where we picked up a 2 man limit over the course of 3.5 hours once we got our first bite. The two of us were fishing 4 rods total. Two straight back off the corners of the boat and two in line boards starboard. The corners did most of the work picking up 8 or 9 of the 12. One had 125 feet out and one 115. I’m figuring about 50 feet above the waterline so really 65 and 75 ft underwater. Chrome and blue brought in 4 or 5 and green/orange/black brought in 4. Funny thing…saw that pole begin dancing two separate additional times and within 4 or 5 feet of retrieve the fish came off. Wondering if I should have let the fish take it a few seconds longer before setting the hook. In lines were 75 and 85 back both with purple. They did the rest of the work. Was a beautiful day on the water. I sure appreciate all the tips you all share. It is a huge help and makes the learning so much quicker. Thanks again for sharing all the fishing smarts.

Default Re: Saturday west of Rattlesnake

Thanks for post and congratulations on getting a limit.When trolling with any type lure,giving fish more time to take lure will not help the chances the fish won't come off.Its just the way the fish bite the lure and how fast you are trolling.The slower you go,the more fish you miss.A recommendation,on how you run your lines.When starting out,you like to cover the water column in depth and have all different colors out to find out what depth and color the fish want that day.I would have run the inline boards on opposite sides.Think you cover a wider swath of water.But others might disagree on running both boards on same side.We have the tattle flags that tip down when have a fish on.But the advantage of two boards on one side, is you can tell if fish on by comparing one board to another.I think the boards didn't catch more was due to of the same color on the board lines. I would have changed one board color to the color that was working on the corner lines,if you had another.I would get 2 more boards and get kits to modify them so flag goes down.Bit of a learning curve but 4 boards will out fish the setup you were running most of the time.

Default Re: Saturday west of Rattlesnake

Nice job Mapleshade. I was out Saturday too but one got one. But i was at the Huron and Cedar point dump area late morning / afternoon so totally different area.