Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th

Default Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th

Due to the strong wind Friday, I had a friend suggested trying for perch back in East Harbor. There were what I think are called Terns, ( white gulls with black heads) all over the harbor grabbing shiners. We positioned ourselves over the minnow and the perch started right away. Granted there were all sizes, but no matter what size they were fighting hard. I probably threw back about 40, but managed to keep 25 nice perch. Saturday was the same thing, except the action was a bit slower.
    Great place to go on a windy day. I talked to several people and they said its a year around thing back in East Harbor for perch.

Default Re: Perch Fri April 15th & Sat April 16th

Minnows or soft baits? We were there as well catching nice sized bass.

We used shiner minnows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Due to the strong wind Friday, I had a friend suggested trying for perch back in East Harbor. There were what I think are called Terns, ( white gulls with black heads) all over the harbor grabbing shiners. We positioned ourselves over the minnow and the perch started right away. Granted there were all sizes, but no matter what size they were fighting hard. I probably threw back about 40, but managed to keep 25 nice perch. Saturday was the same thing, except the action was a bit slower.
    Great place to go on a windy day. I talked to several people and they said its a year around thing back in East Harbor for perch.
    Are their any public launches in East Harbor? Thanks

Skywatcher, there is a really nice ramp at East Harbor State park, but I am not sure if that ramp and parking lot are for registered campers there at the park or not. I guess you could call the park office, or perhaps someone on this site may know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Skywatcher, there is a really nice ramp at East Harbor State park, but I am not sure if that ramp and parking lot are for registered campers there at the park or not. I guess you could call the park office, or perhaps someone on this site may know about that.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Great post lucky duck. I was asking last fall about spring perch fishing. I know East harbor like the back of my hand. Caught plenty of large mouth in there. Is there any particular area to focus on that's better. It's pretty darn grassy do you fish with spreaders off the bottom. Would like to give it a try. Thanks.

Great question badboard. When I first started to fish East Harbor, I started fishing in the grassy area thinking the perch would hide in there from those bass. Not true with the perch in the grass. They seem to be in the open water. The terns were diving after the minnows along the rock walls on the outside of the marinas. The terns were also diving in that dredged channel area on the south side of the harbor by Marina Del Isle, and Bass Haven in that area in that deeper channel. I know a couple guys who fish East Harbor and they said they have caught perch all over in there except for the grassy area. Year around too.