Still need a little help Still need a little help Still need a little help Still need a little help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Still need a little help

WENT UP THIS WEEKEND 1ST TIMER WITH MY OWN BOAT. I FISH INLAND RIVERS MOSTLY AND CONSINDER MYSELF A PRETTY GOOD WALEYE FISHERMAN. BUT GOT SKUNKED SAT. AND SUN- THE WAVES WERE BIG. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY AND HOW THIS JIG FISHING WORKS UP HERE. I WATCHED PEOPLE JUST RIPPING THE JIGS UP AND DOWN VIOLENTLY. OR WERE THEY NOT JIGGING. FISHED OUT OF TURTLE CREEK STAYING AT FENWCK. PEOPLE DIPPING NETS AROUND ME. OR IS THERE ANOTHER GOOD BAIT TO USE. AND ARE THE WALLEYES BITTING THE JIGS OR JUST MOVING THEM OUT OF THERE BEDS.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRICIATED GOING BACK UP THIS WEEKEND.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Jiggin

A lot depends on if there using a jig or a blade bait like cicada,vibe. or some thing like them these baits have to be snapped of the bottom to get them to vibrate I have used them in the past but foul hooked a lot of fish so I seldom use them any more, many fish are being caught with purple hair jigs tipped with a minnow and a stinger hook attached to the main hook for thoes short strikes, fish it with a slow lift about 4 to 10 inches of the bottom remember to use a jig heavy enough to feel the bottom and try to vertical jig up and down with no more than a 45 degree angle also you can skip it along the bottom walleye often hit on the fall so any unusual feel or weight may be a fish, it takes a while to get the feel for this so dont give up , and when you start catching fish you will be hooked and so will the fish

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest the same thing mblmike said. I bought some captain jays blade baits to try this year, but ive been doing pretty good on hairjigs, so why change it now...........i tried a blade bait before and they always tangled up, but i found i was letting slack in the line when i let it drop back down, your suppose to keep the line taught on the way down, so i hear.......ill give it another try on a slow hairjig day......good luck

Tomcat Guest

Smile Tomcat

BADKARMA, What mblmike told you is correct. One other thing you must consider, is your boat's drifting speed. This last weekend, the waves were propelling us too fast, so we had to implement the use of a drift sock, (sometimes two), so if you don't have one in your boat, I think it would be a wise investment. T.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle creek is where we always run out of. On saturday we picked up fish on 4 different colors of hair jigs with no shiners.(purple, white and blue, green, and black and white). We were both casting and vertical jigging. You just need to find the right fish. Dont be affraid to stray away from the packs either. To me it sometimes seems the boat traffic can shut the fish down. We have been running and gunning between the reefs staying out of the bigger packs and it seems to be working so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad karma

THANKS GUYS THAT INFO HELPS. I DO HAVE A DRIFT SOCK AND COULD FEEL THE BOTTOM USING PURPLE HAIR JIGS TIPPED WITH BIG MINNOWS. WAS DRIFTING WITH SOCK AT.5 MPH. MUST GOING TO TAKE TIME TO GET THE FEEL OF IT. IT DOES MAKE SINCE ABOUT BEING AROUND ALL THE BOATS WILL GIVE THAT A TRY.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile This weekend

Last weekend the water was very dirty. It will clean up with the projected west winds being called for. The Low Front is supposed to leave Wed afternoon and a high will replace it. This coming weekend should be a fiesta for jiggers. We might even need SPF 30 on sat? Keep your head up and keep trying.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default no wrong answers

This is fishing some do ok some catch a bunch some dont catch any. personally i have found keeping your jig as close to vertical as possible produces best but its different for everyone. We had 17 fish between 5 of us and i only had 1 them. i got the my last 3 in 10 min on sat. just works funny sometimes. Keep your head up and keep fishing you will get the hang of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bad karma

Why not try trolling. I don't spend the time "jigging" but set up trolling with worm harnesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Its more tradition than anything

Trolling will work. I jig because I love the feel of the bite on the end of the line. I still cast too, but I troll also. There are days jigging when you just cant miss and it sure is fun. Mostly I jig this time of year because the fish are so concentrated in a specific area that jigging and redrifting seems to produce the quickest limit. Then we go hunt for big fish and trolling is usually our best tactic for covering larger areas. Its a personal choice. Its all good