Huron 4/5/22 Huron 4/5/22 Huron 4/5/22 Huron 4/5/22

Thread: Huron 4/5/22

Default Huron 4/5/22

Got to Huron around 7, headed north till we hit 42 ft, caught a nice one in 10 minutes. Then it took a bit to get the second one, turned around to where we started and they were on fire, couldnÂ’t keep lines in the water, everything on bandits 80Â’ back unassisted. We could have had our limit sooner, but had a idiot who saw us catching and decided he need to be close, had the big boards at least 150Â’ out each side , came right at us and missed our outside board by 5Â’. That wasnÂ’t good enough, he had to make a circle and cut in front of us and run the board right over ours, and behind our boat. After a lot of choice words and 10 minutes of trying to get him out of our lines we went on. There wasnÂ’t another boat within a half mile of us, just this idiot. Bottom line, done and back to the dock by 10:30. Big fish, a couple of 7 lbs, the rest 5-6 lbs. Great day on the lake.

Default Re: Huron 4/5/22

Great job, John! Heading over later next week.

very nice report,people like that are everywhere anymore,unbelievable.whatever you said wasnt enough for what he did.unexcptable i probably would have not as nice.thank you for the report.congradulations on the catch and hopefully that will be the end of stupidity for the season for you.

Thanks Johnn. So when driving N to 42’ of water, what makes you think “this is where I should try?” I’m new to this and lake fishing doesn’t seem to have the obvious structure, current, brush etc. that makes sense to me. It’s like, here’s a giant flat dish and somewhere on it is a hungry school of fish. What’s it look like to make you stop? How long do you try there before moving on? I’ve watched 100 videos and short of Ross Robertson driving 30mph and spotting schools at speed (which isn’t a real option for me), I don’t feel like I’ve learned step one - how to find fish.

What we typically do is read the posts from the day before and get a idea of the depth to o start with. Then just get close to the depth and slow way down and see if we can mark a fish. I can’t mark fish doing 30 mph, but at 5 mph I can see fish, or speed up and go another mile in any direction until I do. Also look for a pack of boats, if there is a bunch of boats in a area, we stop short or past them to see if we can mark something. I don’t like to fish in a pack, if you catch one, they will start crowding you. If most of the boats are headed west, get out a half a mile ahead of them, I don’t like trolling behind someone. If I don’t get one in say 20 minutes, I move either a bit deeper or shallower.

ThatÂ’s very helpful, thanks