Time of day to fish thoughts Time of day to fish thoughts Time of day to fish thoughts Time of day to fish thoughts

Default Time of day to fish thoughts

What is everyone's thoughts on the best time of day to fish for walleye?

I typically go out early as the sun is rising if I can get up early enough. But I have often thought about heading out in the afternoon and fishing into early evening before the sun sets. Rather not return to the dock in the dark.

I know the conditions will vary and there is no hard rule for success. Sunlight, water clarity, wind, etc all influences the bite.

Default Re: Time of day to fish thoughts

There are no hard rules as to best time of day to fish.The weather seams to dictate early in the season on when best to fish.But there are a few things to consider when you have an option on time of day.Walleye,being a predator fish,they can see well in low light conditions.Such low light occurs early morning and before sunset.But that low light can be affected too,by water clarity,cloud cover and wave action.
    Early in season,i dont think the low light is as important.With the abundant dirty water, the fish can find what they want.I have often read of the fish turning on later in the day when the sun is out due to surface water warming up.First light can also be about fishing pressure too.Alot fewer boats out that first hour or two than late morning.Last year i read quite a few posts that said the jig bite died after the first 2hrs of daylight.That can be attributed to low light and pressure on those shallow fish.
    But later in season,when water has warmed and very clean,the lower light conditions do improve the fishing.So low light,clouds and waves cutting down light can help.We used to head out for an evening fish and cast for walleye on the edges of reefs.We had good days fishing last light and most of other boats are also gone too.
    Last consideration is that I'm a believer of the lunar tables showing fish and game activity.Now,i think it affects my deer hunting more than our walleye fishing,but i am always aware of the activity phases during any day i fish or deer hunt.Many times i will be reading posts on unexplained fish not biting and turning on at a certain time later.When i look at my lunar tables,there is often a correlation.

Mornings are always preferred for me, but sometimes you just have to get out when you have time. So just fish when ever you can! Adjust as necessary to conditions and you’ll find fish at anytime of day.

Good point. I usually get out early to avoid the crowds.

Answer: When I can get out. There is no right answer on this. It all depends on the day, the conditions, the crowds, etc. For example, if I am fishing stained water, or especially muddy water, then the middle of the day, bright sun is your best option. However, if it is clear and crowded, then the bite might shut down an hour after the sun comes up. Lake Erie has historically been good at all times of the day, but it depends on the conditions. For the D-River in April, I tend to fish in the afternoons to avoid the big crowds, especially on the weekends. Plus, it is usually warmer then.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)