Seeking VHF Radio Advice Seeking VHF Radio Advice Seeking VHF Radio Advice Seeking VHF Radio Advice

Default Seeking VHF Radio Advice

I’ll be doing more fishing this year and am thinking about whether a VHF radio would be good to have onboard. If so what features should I look for? If you have a make/model that works well perhaps you’d be willing to share. Appreciate any advice you experts have for us who are learning!

Default Re: Seeking VHF Radio Advice

Not sure what best models are but from reading about radios,the most important item is the antenna.Has to be long enough to broadcast and recieve from a distance.

AS above, most marine radios are good. But the main thing to know is the signal is line of sight. A typical deep v boat may have an antenna about 5 ft off the water. That would give you a transmission of about 3-4 miles to a typically equipped boat. A taller boat with a taller antenna would transmit and receive at a further distance. If you are concerned more about safety recognition by the Coast Guard, then a radio that accepts a MMSI number is required. This is just a little information. I would suggest that you do research for what use you want it for.

I've been fishing Erie for more than 50 years and I wouldn't leave the dock without a VHF radio! Good advice above. Most any brand radio will work ok. But get a fixed mount ra
    dio which will be 25 watts transmit. Handhelds are only 5 watts and so the range is much less. The antenna is the most important component, more so than the radio itself. Shakespeare makes good antennas. And as said get a radio with MMSI, and hook it up to the GPS. Better yet, get a radio with built-in GPS. Push the red button and the Coast Guard knows exactly where you are. Takes the "search" out of "search and rescue".

Forgot to mention, a dual freq radio that receives NOAA weather is a must. You may be out of phone range on the lake, and not be able to get a weather site. Also, noaa will transmit weather alerts automatically if bad weather shows up.

pay whatever amount you want for the radio but get a good 8 ft. antenna...3 and 5 ft antenna's wont cut it.

All good advice.
    I would add to make sure the antenna mounting location and mount itself allows you to easily and securely lower (and raise) the antenna.
    Important if you trailer boat or go under bridges.
    From personal experience, put it where you can reach it, do not depend on passengers or guests.
    Mike