fishing out of wild wings fishing out of wild wings fishing out of wild wings fishing out of wild wings
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    301walleye Guest

Thumbs up fishing out of wild wings

Me and a couple buddies are going to try our luck on some big eyes on april 2,3 and was wondering if any one had any good ideas about where to begin at.I hear those purple hair jigs are the ticket.What about bottom bouncers where should you use and how do you use them drifting?If any one knows any replys would be great thanks.

hot-n-tot501 Guest

Well, if u are after the big girls in the beginning of April, try trolling around niagra and crib reefs, especially in the deep water next to them. If it were me, the first place i would try is about 1/4 mile NE of Niagra reef in about 24 or 26 feet of water. If u don't like trolling, drift with a worm harness near the bottom with a rather large shiner or a leech. People don't think that would work, but ive seen that it is deadly. That's about your best chance at a hog. But if u just want to get your limit on walleye, try about 1/4 to 1/2 mile out off of wild wings in about 10 feet of water. The males are stacked in there in april and are easy to catch. Use 1/2 ounce purple hair jigs tipped with a shiner and cast the direction of the drift. The opposite way u would normally cast when drifting. As soon as the jig hit's the bottom, snap it hard, and reel the line down until it hit's bottom again, then snap it again. The most important thing to remember is not to let the jig sit on bottom and make sure u cast. Vertical jigging in 10 ft of water does not work. It might seem weird, but cast as far as u can and snap it hard, and u will get ur limit. Im going on a head boat on March 29 out of port clinton if they run. There susposed to let me know tomorrow. Well, let me know how u do. Take care.

Hi could you tell me if you can get out of wild wings??? Did the ice blow out today? We are planing are trip down next week? But I herd it was A ice jam!! Bern

Post Thanks / Like

Default bottom bouncers

Bottom bouncers are a great tool for walleye in the basin in spring. You need to pick the weight you need for the wind drift that day to keep the bouncer in contact with the bottom. Generally somewhere between 1 ounce and 2 ounces if you're drifting. The lake will play games with you. Today you need 2 ounces to stay in contact with the bottom; tomorrow you need the kicker motor to move and 1/2 ounce is plenty.

Play with your leader length as well. Anywhere from 3 foot to 72 inches. Same with spinner blades. Use quick-change clevis and change every drift until you start finding some "lucky" blades. Let the fish tell you what they like. Set your rigs so they're as near to verticle as possible, always bouncing off bottom, have confidence! Before you know it, you'll be into double-headers.

Post Thanks / Like

is there a place to put in at wild wings and is it a free public launch or a pay launch?it will be my first time launching on erie so not to sure of whats going on.i've only done the charter trips before so i'm a rookie at thisthanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default wild wings

they charge $10 to launch

Jperch Guest

Default Wild Wings

I also will be heading up April 11th weekend and have a couple questions?
    Is there a website for Wild Wings that I just can't find? I have a 19ft PrinceCraft Deep V and am a little worried about the wind. From Wild Wings what direction is the bad wind and what is bad? 10MPH I am making a 5 hour drive and won't if I see the winds are 15 plus. Looking for lodging for a couple guys?

Thanks for any help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default wild wings and a bad wind

You are safe if the winds are out of the south or west and if the fish are close. 10-20 mph should be Ok unless you start venturing off shore 3 miles or more. Be careful if the winds go NW, N or East. That same wind speed will produce 3-4 foot waves. Keep an eye on the weather, Lake Erie can go from a nice 1 foot chop to 6 footers in 15 minutes (Been there done that).
    I have been going on the lake for 35+ years and I run a 30 foot boat because of that possibility.

Baha299

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

If you guys are smat you will stay AWAY from Wildwings and use the ramps at Turtlecreek campground.This located maybe .75 mile east of Wildwings on Humphrey Rd.FOUR GOOD ramps.The best fish cleaning facilities bar none fifty yards from the ramps and Five Bucks to launch.The other place as far as I am concerned SUCKS in comparison.HAPPY HOOKER is located right at Rt.2 and Humphrey Rd.Nuff said

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

One correction to the above post,The campground is WEST of Wildwings not East.