Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Trolling vs. drifting - why?

There is nothing like having the rod in your hand and setting the hook. It takes more skill to drift and cast that to troll, it's boring to me. I dont care about my "fish count" because bragging is like whatever. It's all about the fun and enjoyment for me, not so much competing to see who caught the most for the day. If you want numbers then troll. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    I have a question before we get into the season. We all know how trolling has boomed over the last 10 years. It seems it’s all Lake Erie walleye fishing folks talk about, except for the spring jig fishing. My question to all is why has trolling become the “catch all” (pun intended) method for Lake Erie walleye fishing? My question isn’t about why or how trolling works, so comments and lectures from experienced trollers about why trolling works aren’t what I’m looking for here. I want to know why so many people ignore drift fishing and go immediately to trolling.
    We all know why trolling works. You can keep the bait (lure) in the fish zone. You can control the lure speed. You can cover more area (mostly because you have a wider swath of baits out). Etc. Put two people with equal experience out fishing, one trolling and one drift fishing, and yes the troller generally will be more successful. But is trolling necessary all the time, or most of the time?

We’re hearing more and more about problems arising because there are too many trollers in an area. Trolling requires a lot more room to fish and when you have a lot of boats moving around with restrictions on maneuverability and often distracted, it’s bound to cause some problems, especially when we’re getting more of them and they are fishing the same area as folks drift fishing.

I talked with two experienced Lake fishermen who almost exclusively drift fish. One doesn’t even have trolling equipment. They told me about 75% of the time they do as well or nearly as well as trollers. On some days it may take them longer to get a limit. But overall they are nearly as successful in putting fish in the cooler. It’s only on those ‘tough days’ that the trollers get significantly more fish. I’m talking about people with equal fishing talent / ability.

My major question is why go thru all the trolling setup and operation if at least 50-75% of the time it’s not really necessary? Drift fishing is a lot easier and, I’m sure most would agree more fun. Again, not talking about those days were fishing is tough and no question trolling catches more walleye.

Thoughts?
    I have nothing against trolling but to me, it's not as fun to catch fish while trolling compared to traditional fishing. I go on a couple of striper fishing trips a year and sometimes we troll vs traditional methods and the trolling tends to be more effective but I enjoy catching the stripers while holding the rod so you can get that great feeling of the hook up from the fish. It's like bass fishing, when I was a kid, I used to catch fish using live shiners or worms but once I caught a bass with a crankbait or any other artificial bait, there is no comparison of the feeling.

I have been fishing the lake since the early 70's. I jigged and cast for most of those, but the last 6 to 8 I have trolled.
    My reason is my shoulders. When you get into your 70's you don't have the level of strength and I would have issues with them for hours sometimes days.
    When I troll I can fish 3, 4 or 5 days in a row. I love to fish like most on this board and I will try to continue as long as I am above ground.
    I enjoyed jigging, now but now enjoy trolling.
    Just saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skists View Post
    I have been fishing the lake since the early 70's. I jigged and cast for most of those, but the last 6 to 8 I have trolled.
    My reason is my shoulders. When you get into your 70's you don't have the level of strength and I would have issues with them for hours sometimes days.
    When I troll I can fish 3, 4 or 5 days in a row. I love to fish like most on this board and I will try to continue as long as I am above ground.
    I enjoyed jigging, now but now enjoy trolling.
    Just saying!!
    Yep, this makes sense and I certainly don't dislike trolling as I still take part in it, when needed. It's great that you still get to enjoy fishing.

Well said!

Great question. My buddy and I have Have been coming over to Erie for many we years. Here lately we troll most of the time. When we first started out we would drift. We end up eventually shifting to trolling. I like trolling a lot and we catch our share of fish but, I really like drifting. I posed this exact same question as in the original post to my partner a while back and now our first trip will start with drifting. As what was said in the original post you just have to stay out a little longer to catch you fish. I feel when you are trolling the fish catches you, when drifting you feel the fish and you catch the fish. A way better feeling!

Trolling is technique. Drifting is more art.

Capt. Tony (Mega Bites Charters) here, I've built a clientele over the years that simply won't troll, even if the fishing gets slow. When I ask why, they all say the same thing: "I like the contest between me and the fish." That's it. They will grumble something like "I want to catch the fish. With trolling, the boat catches the fish and by the time you get it to the net it's wore out." Now, I have customers who don't mind trolling because I let them work the rods and they love that part. We get tangles once in a while and it's frustrating but why spoil their fun? Ten years ago I invested in the best trolling gear money can buy. The equipment went mostly unused and I sold all of it. I am now reoutfitting because more customers are asking to troll while they talk and drink beer. LOL, Not sure what to make of that. Anyhow, I'll still drift and cast but troll, too. Best of both worlds I guess. On the question of what method catches fish faster. I personally have limited out casting in under two hours but most days it takes four hours. Two years ago I went 22 straight days with limits by noon all in the same area northwest of Lorain. I dock in Vermilion, so it's a seven mile jaunt for me. No trollers in sight. As the captain, I also like the challenge o find fish. With trolling you just point the boat and keep going, catching one here and there. It's a pain to haul in the gear to move. I'm looking forward to trolling this spring early instead of jigging (yes, there is good jigging action off Vermilion). So basically, its the time on the water, the feel of the strike, the satisfaction of choosing the right Bandit and fishing a fish to the net. I've been doing that since I was six. It never gets old, except with the wife.

I like both. I will usually troll to find them, then switch. But when it’s really cold, I can only troll, because I can keep my hands in my pockets with hand warmers. As the Captain and custom bait maker, I get more satisfaction from finding the fish and making them bite. Especially when they bite something I created. I wouldn’t get that if I was just riding and someone said to grab the rod and reel it in. On my boat, I always like to have designated rods and I have each person pick their own baits and set their own lines ( after I show them how). That way they get more satisfaction when they catch fish. We also get “bragging rights” for first/most/biggest, etc.

That is fun Slimshady. I’ll usually set the first lines if they are newer to trolling based off of my unwritten rules like water clarity and such then if they don’t get bit, I’ll start having them pick lures. Newbies love to see lures they picked catch fish. Works on Erie and MI. It’s really cool to watch a 20 + king come over the rail on some crappy spoon that someone said “thing looks pretty”. I swear it happens every time. I can put them out and nothing… I love it! I love watching people reel in fish I put them on, big or small, it’s awesome.