seeking advice seeking advice seeking advice seeking advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking advice

hammerin11 Guest

Default seeking advice

I have a small 14 foot boat and I live in Norwalk, my first year with any kind of boat, Can anybody tell me exactly where I should put in at and where to go? Sorry, I'm a beginner, any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    hammerin11

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Where to fish with 14' boat

Hammerin11,

A 14' boat is way too small to be fishing Lake Erie, at least out in the open waters.

However, IF the weather (wind & waves) is nice and going to stay that way ALL DAY, and you are an experienced boater, you can get out into walleye April through mid-May close to shore (one mile out or less) around the reefs and shallower near-shore waters off the Davis Besse Power station west of Port Clinton. Many public and private launch sites off Route 2 along this stretch of the Lake.

After that, the only SOMEWHAT SAFE places ON CALM DAYS will be around the Islands (launch from the island) through late July when walleye schools are present, or near shore from Sandusky east to Cleveland. I've caught limits of walleye in July within 200 yards of shore around the islands.

Your biggest issue on calm days with that small a boat is boat wakes, especially on the weekend. Personally, I wouldn't go out on the open waters of Lake Erie in a 14' boat on a weekend, unless I was in an area very close to shore and at a time when few boats are traveling.

Best advice is to find somebody with a bigger boat and hitch a ride.

West Basin

hammerin11 Guest

Hey, thanks for honesty, Like I said.., I'm just a beginner and that is what I was hoping to hear is somewhere that you don't have to go out too far, just like you were saying! Maybe just the name of a ramp that you can go out a little ways and catch a few walleye,
    Thanks,
    Gary

You can try Mazurrick (not sure of that spelling) near Lakeside and fish near shore and catch a few eyes this time of year. Just don't wander off too far and remember, the water temp is what would get you in trouble if there was a problem. Pick your days and have a way to communicate with others..........Good luck

hammerin11 Guest

Thank you very much, not lookin to get hurt, just want to catch a few fish, safely..,My brother and I took it out at cranberry creek marina but we didn't see another boat anywhere! Must not be a good time of year at that spot.
    Thanks again,
    Gary

justafew Guest

Go right out of Vermillon, 28-35 fow troll west.

hammerin11 Guest

By the way "West Basin",
    I was looking for advice for the equiptment that I have, just like you said.., not too far from shore and on a calm day. I just wanted some suggestions on the names of boat ramps where you can catch walleye without going too far out and that would be somewhat safe on "my" small boat, not to hitch a ride with a bigger boat, geez..., thanks anyhow!

West Basin's advice was right for your question. A 14' boat, Lake Erie, first time boater, trying to fish is a recipe for disaster. He wasn't being disrespectful, just honest. Take your 14' boat to a small state park lake and learn the ropes there.

hammerin11 Guest

ok, I understand that, I just thought that maybe there was somewhere that you don't have to go far, believe me, I'm listening to the advice!

Default Is your boat a deep V ?

Is your boat a deep V? last year in June I came to Erie in a 19 foot bass tracker and launched out of Est harbor state park, drove to Kelley's and limited out 3 days, however I almost lost my new boat in 5 footers. If I was you wait for no more than 2 footers or you might be in trouble.
    I got smart and bought a deep v this year.
    See ya in June