Bow motor Bow motor Bow motor Bow motor

Thread: Bow motor

Default Bow motor

Wondering if a bow mount motor would be possible for 22ft Princecraft aluminum.

I have a plate for my prop that slows me but I'm having a hard time steering while landing fish. Any Ideas?

I understand the cost. They are expensive
    RS

Default Re: Bow motor

We use an Ultera on our 20' Lund and love it. We use it primarily as an auto pilot to steer the boat and use the kicker for propulsion accept in early Spring when we want to troll extra slow.
    Yes they are definitely pricey. Also they are hard to find right now, I have friends that have had them on back order since last season and no word on when they will arrive.

Be sure to get the long shaft and preferably the 36V. $$$ more money for batteries. But IMHO well worth it.
    Mike

Just a thought, I purchased a Lowrance Autopilot 2 years ago for my outboard and just love it. Works with the Lowerance HDS and is a great system. I have a 21' Aluminum Crestliner with 75 hp Mercury.

Yes, I have an Ultrex on my 20 ft Lund and it works great. I have the 60" shaft and it is long enough....barely. There are days when I wish I had the 72" shaft. If the bow of yours is pretty high off the water, you may want to go with the 72. I would definitely go with the 36V 110 thrust version. I wish they made a 66" version. That would be perfect.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

I use a older bow mount 70lb thrust Minn Kota with Co pilot on my 18ft bluefin. its 24volt and I pull big boards. I do not have Auto pilot but the wireless co pilot seems to work well and is easy to steer when reeling in fish by yourself. Bass Pro sells brand new take offs at their marine store in Rossford for half the money of new, that's where I got my mine at.

Slawdog I never knew Bass Pro would sell take offs, Do you just go to the parts department and ask what they have?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Tiger View Post
    We use an Ultera on our 20' Lund and love it. We use it primarily as an auto pilot to steer the boat and use the kicker for propulsion accept in early Spring when we want to troll extra slow.
    Yes they are definitely pricey. Also they are hard to find right now, I have friends that have had them on back order since last season and no word on when they will arrive.

Be sure to get the long shaft and preferably the 36V. $$$ more money for batteries. But IMHO well worth it.
    I too have a 20ft lund and use the ultera. you will be disappointed if you dont spend the bigbucks and buy th best Lithum battery you can afford.
    regular Batterys will wear down quick because of the weight of the boat and wave and wind.
    I switched last year to Lithiun and I used them all day and they still had plenty of power left.

Not trying to be a Debbie dower, but facts are facts.

they have them on the wall by the service desk .

Quote Originally Posted by needham1114 View Post
    I too have a 20ft lund and use the ultera. you will be disappointed if you dont spend the bigbucks and buy th best Lithum battery you can afford.
    regular Batterys will wear down quick because of the weight of the boat and wave and wind.
    I switched last year to Lithiun and I used them all day and they still had plenty of power left.

Not trying to be a Debbie dower, but facts are facts.
    Lithium batteries are very nice, but extremely pricey. I have been using the size 29 Marine batteries from Walmart for 10+ years and haven't had any issues. I have the 80 lb thrust (24V) on my 20 foot Lund and I can troll for 6-7 hours without them running down. I try not to go above level 5 for long periods of time. If I need to go faster than that, I just use my kicker at idle speed and then use the TM for smaller adjustments and steering. I also troll only downwind, unless it is dead-flat calm out. I always charge them immediately after I get home and I usually get 3-4 seasons out of them before I have to replace them.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Default Autopilot

PDnaz,

I’m very interested in the autopilot you installed on your boat. I’m considering a similar setup on my boat.
    I have a 21’ Lund with two outboard motors, ( one larger motor and one smaller). The smaller motor is used for trolling and is linked to the big motor to facilitate steering. The big motor has hydraulic steering.
    I also have a Lowrance HDS Carbon.
    May I ask what model autopilot you purchased? Is it able to maintain a course in moderate winds?
    Did you install it yourself?
    Last edited by Parris Island; 03-11-2022 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add a line