Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not Safe Boating

Saw 2 guys pull their 20ft tin can onto their trailer today at Catawba launch beach {launch iced in}. Boat was small with a 20 horse older evinrude...said they went to Green Island and back !! Absolute madness. The number of things that could have went wrong.
    2016 Everglades 230CC
    300 Yamaha
    9.9 Yamaha kicker
    Lowrance Gen 3 Fishfinder

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Re: Not Safe Boating

He's right on.

Lake is still over half ice covered, all broken up, constantly moving around. A spot is open water one hour ice covered the next. So it's incredibility dangerous to be out in a boat due to the possibility of hitting ice pieces and having your ramp or access point ice blocked when you return.

STAY HOME!

Friday Satellite.

Not Safe Boating-le-modis-030422-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Not Safe Boating-le-modis-030422-jpg 

Been going out for 40 years boating among the floating ice. Use extra caution knowing the dangers and it can be done. Lake Erie always have risk. Watch the satelite picture, winds, travel speed along with your cell phone and marine radio usage. Its not for everyone and yes there are more risks but its my decision.

Blog Entries

I remember going out on a early May out of chagrin river probably not the best decision water was very cold but no ice wanted to try the warm water from the electric plant discharge , l was alone until another boater joined me for a few minutes we decided it was a bust so we both packed up and hit the trailers early spring is dangerous as is all other boating on Erie as well as Ice fishing you have to be extra careful no mater what time of year your boating or fishing . And remember to look out for one another when we are out in early spring.

If you wait for safe boating, you won't have any fish in your freezer. A lot of guys brought fish home yesterday, and I haven't heard of any accidents. I stayed home because of the east wind in the morning. Was worried about the ramp getting iced in, like others said.
    But that being said, Lk Erie is never safe boating.

Was just down to turtle point yesterday to take a look. Gonna be probably April before it will be safe to go out. Still alot of ice out there

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker View Post
    If you wait for safe boating, you won't have any fish in your freezer. A lot of guys brought fish home yesterday, and I haven't heard of any accidents. I stayed home because of the east wind in the morning. Was worried about the ramp getting iced in, like others said.
    But that being said, Lk Erie is never safe boating.
    there will be plenty of time this year to get your fish, safe boating is always a number 1, be safe, there will be plenty of time to get your eye on~!

Default Re: Not Safe Boating ~ a fish in not worth our life

I have seen reported, over the years , fishing women and men , lose their lives fishing on lake Erie. The water is so cold early season and there is always trees entering the lake after a big rain, and I have seen many, full tree's floating in the lake heading east.
    So, wait until the ice is all gone and be always looking for those early spring floating trees.
    You can always fill your freezer when it is safe to do so, so don't think that if you don't take a chance you will not be able to feel freezer.
    Just some thoughts, so you can fish on.
    ~Water Dog

Blog Entries

This seems to be a great thread going forward maybe we can keep it going to keep us all posted on current water , logs in the water etc and if were going out early join up with a buddy or two .

Blog Entries

Something else to think about if your going out early I copied this from a article on line

You’ve heard our tips on how to be safe when out boating on Cold Water; but sometimes things happen, and you can find yourself in a bad situation.

Unless you’ve directly experienced it before, it’s hard to imagine what being immersed in cold water actually feels like.

For example, it is a common misunderstanding that if you fall into cold water you can die from Hypothermia in a matter of minutes. The truth is, it can be upwards of 30 minutes to 1 hour before a person can die from Hypothermia.

There are a few physiological stages that occur before Hypothermia sets in:
    Cold Water Shock Response – This is due to the rapid cooling of the skin and creates uncontrollable breathing or gasping that can last 1-2 minutes. Drowning can occur during this phase if your head goes under the surface and water is inhaled into the lungs. This is one of many benefits of wearing a life jacket.
    Cold Water Incapacitation – This can occur any where from 5 – 15 minutes from falling into the water. The body is preserving it’s warmth and is restricting blood flow to the extremities (arms and legs). With the reduction of blood flow the muscles and nerves are not functioning well and you will loose any meaningful movement of them. Once this occurs you will not be able to keep your head above water and the only thing to keep you afloat will be a life jacket..