Shallow Bandits Shallow Bandits Shallow Bandits Shallow Bandits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shallow Bandits

Default Shallow Bandits

Does anyone use shallow bandits early spring? Do they have a different presentation than the deep diver or is it they do not get deep enough?

Default Re: Shallow Bandits

The deep walleye bandits are what most people use.The deep bandits run shallow enough by just using shorter leads.The shallow walleye bandits could be used off dipseys because of their small lip though.

Thanks Bob, I have a dozen of them and was wondering if I should give them a try or put them in the bag of items to sell lol

We use shallow bandits in the spring on our downriggers. We set the riggers to cycle up and down to cover all the water column and make quick depth adjustments.
    We have found the eyes move up and down more in the spring than any other time, as the water temps are not as stable. We can be catching at 25 ft and the sun pop out and the bite can go high to 10 ft in a matter of 30 minutes, or turn around and drop back down again. The bandits tend to catch the bigger fish.

Normally, in the summer the fish moving up means they are more actively feeding, this does not seem as strong in the Spring. The temp changes help congregate the bait and the eyes follow and feed whatever the depth.

BTW - I am aware that downriggers aren't used much in the Western Basin, but we depend on them every time of year to fine tune our program. They are fast and efficient tools to fine tune the best depths. In the spring we pull shallow bandits and large Colorado harnesses pulled slow on the riggers to start every trip.
    Mike

We use shallow bandits in the spring on our downriggers. We set the riggers to cycle up and down to cover all the water column and make quick depth adjustments.
    We have found the eyes move up and down more in the spring than any other time, as the water temps are not as stable. We can be catching at 25 ft and the sun pop out and the bite can go high to 10 ft in a matter of 30 minutes, or turn around and drop back down again. The bandits tend to catch the bigger fish.

Normally, in the summer the fish moving up means they are more actively feeding, this does not seem as strong in the Spring. The temp changes help congregate the bait and the eyes follow and feed whatever the depth.

BTW - I am aware that downriggers aren't used much in the Western Basin, but we depend on them every time of year to fine tune our program. They are fast and efficient tools to fine tune the best depths. In the spring we pull shallow bandits and large Colorado harnesses pulled slow on the riggers to start every trip.
    Mike

they work great behind dipseys for me.

I think I will try them on the dipsey, I have a a couple of divers. How long do run your leader behind the diver?

Our leaders are 7ft 20# seaguar flourocarbon with swivel on one side and snap on other.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    I think I will try them on the dipsey, I have a a couple of divers. How long do run your leader behind the diver?

i use 6' seaguar 20# STS floro. the 6' length happens to work out well with my rod length and netting. swivel on one end snap on the other as stated before.
    Last edited by pfk; 03-02-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Great, I will have to give them a try this year. I appreciate the info. Being from Elkhart I only get out on the weekends but I want to use every means possible Thanks again!!