Following A Boat Trolling Following A Boat Trolling Following A Boat Trolling Following A Boat Trolling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Following A Boat Trolling

Quick question, Is it ok to follow someone already trolling and how far back should you stay? I know when the jig is on you can almost walk across boats, seems like that when you are perch fishing too.

Default Re: Following A Boat Trolling

You can catch a lot of fish in someone else’s “dirty water”. I like to give lots of room. Lake Erie is no less that a football field. Lake Michigan is more.

that’s just me though. I have had boats on both lakes so close to me it’s not funny. That’s when I get the wire rods out…. There is plenty of room for everyone to fish and plenty of fish in the ponds so no need to crowd out someone.

There are times when things get pretty crowded in the western basin.Especially in the early season.Its not a good idea to try and troll through a pack of boats trolling and even more so if they are casting.We try to stay away from other boats if at all possible.We will not follow directly behind another boat because I feel its not productive catching active fish after another boat and their lures have cleared out catchable fish.Their lures can also be running pretty far behind their boards too.Now if a group of boats are all heading in the same direction,its a good idea to not try and go against the grain,but try to head over clean water and off to the side of the boats ahead of you.If trying to cross behind another boat I would try and stay at least 100yds behind their boards.Sometimes the other boats around you have slow up,speed up or make a quick turn to avoid others too.Also note that most boats are on auto pilot and are not as alert to others around them as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    Quick question, Is it ok to follow someone already trolling and how far back should you stay? I know when the jig is on you can almost walk across boats, seems like that when you are perch fishing too.
    In a perfect world a couple of hundred yards of separation would be great but in late spring, early summer it is full contact trolling. If you are following someone, try not to get closer than someone can throw a 2 oz lead. Kidding aside, try to keep a good spacial idea of where you and the boats around you are GOING to be. Think ahead. Try to avoid a situation that you can't get out of. You may get pushed off your troll but thats better than getting your gear tore up.

Thanks, I am going to try some trolling and just don't want to be the idiot on the water lol. My wife go out a few times to jig and throw crawlers but I've been watching JOBS and like the way him and his wife troll. I will keep my head on a swivel and hopefully catch a couple big ones

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    Thanks, I am going to try some trolling and just don't want to be the idiot on the water lol. My wife go out a few times to jig and throw crawlers but I've been watching JOBS and like the way him and his wife troll. I will keep my head on a swivel and hopefully catch a couple big ones
    Just know the Rules of the Road on the lake, and give way when you're supposed to.

There's too many out there that either don't know the rules of the road, or just don't give a crap, and will cut you off, so keep a good lookout, make adjustments, and all will be well.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks Juls, I will keep an eye out and I always give way when I should, I have a lot of respect for Lake Erie and all those that fish it.

yea those charter captains really hate it when somebody bird dogs them.

Last year I was trolling and was in the process of landing one. Before I did I looked around and saw no boats headed my way from either side. All boats I did see were parallel. I just pulled in the fish looked up and saw a boat headed my way. The boat had big boards out with no poles in the water. I put the motor in neutral and he still kept coming at me. He had plenty of room just decided he didn’t have to avoid me. Obviously they were turning. When turning be considerate of other boats. As I watched this guy he was zig zagging thru the pack of boats.

Talking Re: Following A Boat Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Just know the Rules of the Road on the lake, and give way when you're supposed to.

There's too many out there that either don't know the rules of the road, or just don't give a crap, and will cut you off, so keep a good lookout, make adjustments, and all will be well.
    Juls, need change that tag line for your boat to the Vexus!