Fish Guts Fish Guts Fish Guts Fish Guts

Thread: Fish Guts

Default Fish Guts

Hello All,

What does everyone do with the fish remains???

Also where the heck was everyone?? The crowds just were not there. Not complaining thought

We will be out in the Huron area next week along with everyone and their brother.

Thanks in advance
    Good luck to all and be SAFE

CONGO

Default Re: Fish Guts

Good garden fertilizer

Got a bunch of turkey buzzards waiting for me when I get home. I think they see the boat coming up the driveway and start landing in the trees out back of the house. It took them about 15 minutes last week to clean up the remains of 24 walleye carcasses..

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredwalleye View Post
    Good garden fertilizer
    I agree with this post, it makes really good fertilizer if you have a garden. I usually dig a hole and bury them at least 12-14 inches to keep the critters from finding them. Provides good food for the earth worms once it decays.

Thank you for all of your responses. Fully agreed with the benefits for fertilizer
    I was meaning where can a guy dispose of them when your 400 miles from your garden
    Thank you

Congo

I cut some into bite size pieces and feed them to the fish in my pond. The bulk I freeze until trash day then pitch. This time of year you can put them directly in the trash if its only a day or two till pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Hello All,

What does everyone do with the fish remains???

Also where the heck was everyone?? The crowds just were not there. Not complaining thought

We will be out in the Huron area next week along with everyone and their brother.

Thanks in advance
    Good luck to all and be SAFE

CONGO
    I put my fish guts in a large paper yard bag and then put it in the garage freezer until garbage night. That way, it doesn't stink and it stays frozen for a while, even in the summer. This time of the year, it certainly isn't an issue keeping it frozen. If you are away from home and don't have access to a freezer, then you can usually find "fish-gut" drums or dumpsters near the boat ramps or fish-cleaning stations. Some places actually encourage you to throw your guts in the lake (not the trash with them, just the fish), so that they will be consumed by seagulls, turtles, other fish, etc. I don't know if every state is the same with that one though.
    Last edited by slimshady; 11-29-2021 at 10:20 PM.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    I put my fish guts in a large paper yard bag and then put it in the garage freezer until garbage night. That way, it doesn't stink and it stays frozen for a while, even in the summer. This time of the year, it certainly isn't an issue keeping it frozen. If you are away from home and don't have access to a freezer, then you can usually find "fish-gut" drums or dumpsters near the boat ramps or fish-cleaning stations. Some places actually encourage you to throw your guts in the lake (not the trash with them, just the fish), so that they will be consumed by seagulls, turtles, other fish, etc. I don't know if every state is the same with that one though.
    Pretty sure it's illegal to dump fish guts back into any body of water in Ohio...