First time at islands First time at islands First time at islands First time at islands

Default First time at islands

Thinking about taking my boat up to the islands for the first time Sunday. Planning trying to find some perch. I hear things are still a little slow. Is anyone willing to give me a starting point? Also, can anyone give me info on any public ramps on Catawba and bait shops? Thanks!

Default Re: First time at islands

Catawba state park, for a ramp. Depends on which way you go, mazurik is farther east. Herb's, if they have any.

Hyway Bait or Jennettes.

Catawba state park has a boat launch and Jeanette's bait is right up the road. There's also a boat launch in West Harbor, right by Midway Marina. And Herb's Bait is right up the road from there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyezip View Post
    Catawba state park has a boat launch and Jeanette's bait is right up the road. There's also a boat launch in West Harbor, right by Midway Marina. And Herb's Bait is right up the road from there
    Also, look up good info on the 'Net to answer your ?'s. Just about any starting point out of SW Lake Erie works. Listen to the chatter on your radio. Go to where you see a pack of boats, or even "Party Boats" anchored and watch them for a few minutes to see if any are cranking. Try it there and wait for the jerk on the end of the line. "Shiners" work best. Some people cut the bait in half, for economy and scent. Some punch a few holes in a can of cat food, tie a line and drop it to the bottom releasing the scent. Perch are quite nosey, it's ok to make some like starting your engine for a few minutes, tapping your hull, even playing hard rock. Save $$$, Check this site about freezing left over bait and How to Cook Perch.

Thank you all. Boat is hooked up ready for the morning.

Another good hint.... post reports after you go. People are more willing to help somebody who is helping them out.

I ended up not going. Wind was gonna be iffy and I have almost an hour drive each way. Didn't want to waste my time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Another good hint.... post reports after you go. People are more willing to help somebody who is helping them out.
    "Roger That" Mr. S. Good advice!

After this huge blow, I have a feeling the lake will be trashed for a while. It was blowing 45 mph with gusts to 65 yesterday, which is pretty crazy. I was hoping to get out tomorrow, but decided to hold off for a couple days to see if I can get a satellite image before I go.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)