8/29 Perching Location 8/29 Perching Location 8/29 Perching Location 8/29 Perching Location
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 8/29 Perching Location

Planning on perching tomorrow and heading to the firing range. Is there a specific can that is hot right now?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8/29 Perching Location

I launched out of Catawba around 9:30am Saturday Morning. Hiway Bait had recommended the cans area. I found a nice pack around D can. I think we were late to the party. We got five really nice (like 10 inch) perch Tried D can South of Rattlesnake, south of Green and West of North Bass. I’ve heard it is an early bite

Post Thanks / Like

I tried at D, F, and G can today and only got 10 perch with a few shorts that were thrown back. Slow day unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I didnÂ’t mention about my perch fishing expedition yesterday is I observed a few walleye charters trolling around the area. When we were headed from D can to Rattlesnake I noticed one charter kind of west and a little south of Rattlesnake and their customers were reeling in fish. I set a mark in that area and returned to that area long after they were gone. I fish with a Livescope and the area had what I personally refer to this year as the head fake marks. The head fake marks are these great looking marks on regular sonar from 15-20 down over 35 fow in this case. When you look at it with the live sonar, you see the high marks are really groups of 3-4 small fish swimming together forming these great looking marks, except in the bottom 5 feet there were nice walleye mixed with sheephead suspending 3-5 feet off the bottom. IÂ’m on my third year with this sonar and I can distinguish between sheephead and walleye. Sheephead show as football shapes and walleye show as diagonal slashes. Anyway, I put three crankbaits down 30 ft and three slide divers with spoons down 30 feet and started picking up a 50/50 mix of 20 inch walleye and small sheephead. We were 45 minutes in when one of the yellow head boats coming out of port Clinton was headed to some spot north of Rattlesnake. I donÂ’t know of any perch spots north of Rattlesnake so I pulled the walleye gear to go find that yellow boat and at a minimum get a new spot to try in the future. I figured no way would they drive that boat from PC to near the border if it wasnÂ’t at least a good perch spot sometime in the past. Anyway, IÂ’ve got my spot now, but there were no perch biting there, The amazing thing at least to me from this long winded story is IÂ’m certain we could have pulled a limit of walleye in 3-4 hours had I not packed up to find that head boat. ItÂ’s August 30. I think Bula, Cleveland or Lorain this time of year so IÂ’m amazed to have gotten a single walleye in that area let alone getting a slow pick going. I was more interested in getting a new perch spot for the future than more walleye. Any time I see a head boat on a spot, I mark it as you can return years later and possibly catch fish.