Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021

I bought 2 dipsy divers at central basin bait and tackle in vermilion yesterday

Default Re: Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021

We have 8" snubbers on our dipseys also.They act as a shock absorber when bigger fish hit the lure and help keep the fish hooked up when playing the fish.I also believe they help prevent the dipsey from spinning when letting the line out.Been reading a long steelhead thread on OGF and they say the snubber is not enough to prevent line breaking,but the drag has to be set very loose for steelhead.
    You can use braid for cranks and dipseys,but the main problem with braid when using the inline boards is that they slip out or through the releases.They make special releases for braid line,like the OR18 by offshore.Or you can wrap the braid around the release to hold it also.

I checked Cabelas in Dundee, MI and also Bass Pro in Toledo and Bass pro had one 4" Dipsey diver. Yes, only one.
    All of the online places I checked were out of stock on the 4" Dipsey. So I bought two more of the deeper divers that I purchased before off Ebay, so now I have a set of 4, and 4 decent rods with braid. Which works with the 4 rod holders on my boat. I have the depth curves, so hopefully they work well. I think I am limited to 3 lines anyway if I am fishing by myself in Ohio, right?

I counted the number of lines that Juls had running mentioned at the top of this thread and I believe she mentioned 9 lines being set. I've trolled a lot in my past, over the years, but if we had two lines per person on the boat, that was a lot. I can't imagine dragging 9 lines. That would take some skills that I haven't acquired yet! So Planer boards are not in my plans yet. But obviously the more lines you have set, the greater your chances of catching fish.

Bass Pro shows stock on the snubbers so I will pick some up when I drive by there.
    Is there a reason to get the 8" vs the 12" snubbers?

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dipweed View Post
    I counted the number of lines that Juls had running mentioned at the top of this thread and I believe she mentioned 9 lines being set.
    When I have two customers, we run two boards per side and 4 dipsies, so only 8 of the 9 lines allowed.

When I have three customers, we run 3 boards per side and the 4 dipsies, for a total of 10 of the 12 allowable lines.

If they are experienced with boards, then we will run 4 boards per side and the 4 dipsies for 12 of the 12 allowable lines. But, seldom, do I have experienced customers who know how to run inline boards, so it's usually no more than three per side.

Keep it simple.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Ohio currently allows 3 lines per person.It really doesn't matter if 8 or 12" snubbers.Just want them all to be identical except maybe color.I have different color snubbers so I can keep track of what setting and what side of boat a particular dipsey is running.

itsbob:

Ok, Thanks. I'll see what I can find in snubbers.

Juls:
    12 lines! I'm not seeing much "simple" in that! I thought that 9 lines would be overwhelming.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Dave

the luhr jenson snubbers will wear out after a couple years...amish outfitters makes 8" ones...i have used them for a few years now and they are still good...one good thing though is when they wear out the swivles and snaps are heavy duty and are good for muskie fishing
    Last edited by fisherman 2; 08-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Can anyone tell me about fishing a reef north east of Avon Point? Apparently comes up to 14 feet. GPS coordinates?

Quote Originally Posted by Davf View Post
    Can anyone tell me about fishing a reef north east of Avon Point? Apparently comes up to 14 feet. GPS coordinates?
    You might want to start your own thread with this question. You might get your answer faster. I don't fish Avon, so I have no clue what reef you're referring to. Sorry.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Apparently I have a deep misunderstanding of the fishing related gear business.

Today I managed to buy 5 Snubbers from Bass Pro in Rossford, OH.

I thought I could just buy some online but my initial search came up empty, and I found out that Bass Pro had a number of them in stock.
    So today I stopped by Bass Pro in Rossford, OH and went to the marine equipment area where they sell boat seats, boat hardware along with downrigger supplies and Dipsey Divers.
    A store guy was stocking in the same aisle so I asked him where the snubbers were that were shown as being in stock online.
    He said they should be right in front of me. Nope. He explained that the management was rearranging the store and many things could not be found.

I thought: Perhaps they moved them to the fishing section? (where the Dipsey divers and downriggers should be, not next to the gas tanks)
    Their fishing lure section is ridiculously big. As I entered the fishing area a women asked me if she could help me. I told her I was looking for snubbers made by Luhr Jenson and used behind Dipsey Divers. She replied: Oh, they should be in the marine equipment area. I told her they were not there. She was puzzled and suggested that they might be sold out.
    Regardless, I started looking around in the fishing area. Sure enough, next to the wire leaders were the Luhr Jenson Snubbbers. They had 10 of the 12" units at $3.99 each.
    I bought 5 of them. Half of their stock!

What is going on!?!?
    There must be no more than 50 cents of material in these Snubbers and obviously Dipsey Divers are very popular on Lake Erie.
    Bass Pro has huge amounts of money in fishing gear only has 10 Snubbers in stock? I bought half of their stock!!

This seems insane. What am I missing!

Dave